"World Music" recommendations, anyone?
May 19, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #211 of 293
To be released:
Lost songs of anatolia (asia minor)
A musical project where the songs of the indigenous people who still hold their culture are recorded, and then mixed with an accompanying polyphonic arrangment. I watched their concert and it was incredible. I'll let you know when this becomes released:
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

May 24, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #216 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Super Rail Band - Mansa

Here they are performing live:

YouTube - Super Rail Band de Bamako, Mawazine Festival, Rabat

Now I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I think was at that show. I went to that festival some years back when both the Rail Band and Youssou N'Dour were on it. It was probably about two World Cups ago, because Youssou was playfully ribbing the Moroccan audience about how the Senegalese soccer team had done better than the Moroccan one. At one point in the Rail Band set the lead-guitarist, Djelimady Tounkara, ran and leapt from the stage with his guitar because 'til that point the audience in this concert hall had been kinda sedate. That livened 'em up instantly.

May 25, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #217 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I think was at that show. I went to that festival some years back when both the Rail Band and Youssou N'Dour were on it. It was probably about two World Cups ago, because Youssou was playfully ribbing the Moroccan audience about how the Senegalese soccer team had done better than the Moroccan one. At one point in the Rail Band set the lead-guitarist, Djelimady Tounkara, ran and leapt from the stage with his guitar because 'til that point the audience in this concert hall had been kinda sedate. That livened 'em up instantly.

That is a wild coincidence (unless you happened to post that clip on YouTube). Seeing N'Dour and the Rail Band on the same bill is a rare opportunity. I've see Tounkara play though, and I can't imagine him leaping from the stage. I guess drastic times call for drastic measures.

May 25, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #218 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing N'Dour and the Rail Band on the same bill is a rare opportunity. I've see Tounkara play though, and I can't imagine him leaping from the stage. I guess drastic times call for drastic measures.

Clarification: The Rail Band and Youssou weren't on the same bill; they headlined different nights of the same festival. Thing is, Youssou played this huge outdoor Central Park-type venue, and the Rail Band played a concert hall.

What I remember is that the stage of the hall dwarfed the Rail Band…it was gi-normous, obviously built to accomodate one of those huge Middle-Eastern orchestras, and for some reason the Rail Band was set up near the back of it (you can kinda see that in the clip). So Tounkara had a real running start when he made that leap.

May 26, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #219 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clarification: The Rail Band and Youssou weren't on the same bill; they headlined different nights of the same festival. Thing is, Youssou played this huge outdoor Central Park-type venue, and the Rail Band played a concert hall.

What I remember is that the stage of the hall dwarfed the Rail Band…it was gi-normous, obviously built to accomodate one of those huge Middle-Eastern orchestras, and for some reason the Rail Band was set up near the back of it (you can kinda see that in the clip). So Tounkara had a real running start when he made that leap.

I would have loved to see that. Would have been like watching Al Green do a backflip. Sounds like that stage could even accomodate Toumani Diabate and the Symmetric Orchestra.

May 26, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #220 of 293
The Zawinul Syndicate "World Tour" (live)
Joe Zawinul who started the super jazz-fusion group "Weather Report" started this band with a lot of international players ... good stuff to say the least...

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #223 of 293
Don't have the time to read the whole thread so take this as a +1 if already mentioned -

Tinariwen.

Saw these guys live in Manchester having never heard of them and they blew me away. I have two of their albums now and couldn't recommend them more highly.

They're from Mali in Africa. The folk music of Mali is thought to be where Blues evolved from and you can definitely hear it there. Very trancy at times with asymetrical clapping rythms, spiritual vocal performances from the lead singer and fantastic bass and djembe throughout.

Well worth a look.

Another I've heard recently was Sasha Illyukevich and the highly skilled migrants (from Belarus). The album is called Ha Nuna. Hard to describe it.. folk rock maybe?

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #225 of 293
To expand on Russia, they have a lot more than had been mentioned in this thread.

Some classics are:

Terem Quartet - "No, Russia Cannot Be Perceived by Wit" - traditional instrumental folk
Amazon.com: No, Russia Cannot Be Perceived by Wit: Terem Quartet: Music

Boris Grebenshikov - great voice, folk-rock
Amazon.com: Russian Songwriter: Boris Grebenshikov: Music

Krematoriy "Koma" - folk-rock
Amazon.com: Koma by Krematoriy: Music

Mummiy Troll - Ikra - alternative pop-rock
Amazon.com: Ikra: Mummy Troll (Mumiy Troll): Music

Vladimir Presnyakov "Slyun'ki" - pop
Amazon.com: Slyun'ki - Vladimir Presnyakov: Music

Nogu Svelo! - Grand Collection - extravagant pop-rock
Amazon.com: Grand Collection: Nogu Svelo!: Music

Janna Aguzarova - Grand Collection - rock and roll, pop
Amazon.com: Grand Collection: Janna Aguzarova: Music

Alla Pugacheva - The Best Songs - pop, ballads:
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Amazon.com: Alla Pugacheva. The Best Songs / Luchie Pesni [Double CD]: Alla Pugacheva: Music

Megapolis - pop-rock
Amazon.com: Megapolis: Music

Maxim Leonidov is my favorite, he was part of the band "Secret" and has a solo career:

Litsey - "Autumn":

Kolibri - "Yellow Leaf" song, just the soundtrack ignore the video here:

Anna German - polish, but born in USSR and sometimes sings in Russian
Amazon.com: Zlota Kolekcja (Best Of): Anna German: Music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back