"World Music" recommendations, anyone?
Apr 12, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #181 of 293
scompton;2866971 said:
I've just discovered this thread and I think it's great. I'll eventually have many suggestions. The first is a group I heard a few months ago on Afropop Worldwide (alas no longer aired in DC).

Welcome on board...I'll look forward to your recs...

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #182 of 293
Last Labor Day, we had the first annual Arlington World Music Festival with the following line up

Frank London's Klezmer Brass All-Stars
Los Mocosos
Niyaz
Eileen Ivers and Immigrant Soul
Oliver "Tutu" Mtukudzi and Black Spirits

Unfortunately, I missed the first act because of the people I went with. I had a broken foot so I couldn't get there myself. All of these bands are well worth listening to. Before the festival, I was familiar with the last three acts and pretty mush liked them in the order listed. Afterwards, the exact opposite. The show got better and better.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #183 of 293
I am currently listing to Samba Soul 70. This is a great album from Six Degrees

e79362s4ow2.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:gzfyxqe0ldje

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #184 of 293
Long Black Veil-The Cheiftains

Only there would you find Mick Jagger and Sting singing Irish music.

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #185 of 293
Another group from Galicia, but this time more traditional: Milladoiro. They are the grandfathers of Galician modern folk music. If you are into celtic music, you can not miss this group. It is one of the best in the world.
You can read a very interesting interview here.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #186 of 293
I can't believe this: I just did a search for Lebrijano and didn't get a single result.
confused.gif
No flamenco aficionados around here?

I'd like to recommend his classic album Encuentros, which is an awesome combination of flamenco and arabic music. El Lebrijano, one of the best flamenco singers of his generation, Paco Cepero, a flamenco guitarrist, and an orchestra from Morocco join forces in this wonderful title. Both musics blend so effortlessly, so harmoniously (indeed, they have a lot of history in common) that it is an enigma to me why this experience has not been repeated more often by other artists. Highly recommended!

lebrijano.jpg

The music is even better than the cover!
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #187 of 293
Milladoiro is indeed one of a kind: a wonderful group where traditional pipes, fiddles and accordions are backed by an especially strong assemblage of woodwinds and harp, the effect is like a cross between folk and chamber music. Their live CD As Fadas De Estrano Nome contains equal parts jaunty dances and graceful set pieces, while more recent releases like Auga De Maio are more laid back.

Carlos Nunez is undoubtedly the poster boy of Galician music: with his ambitious musical vision, he always attract incredibly high-calibre collaborators -- and this has an unfortunate effect on his early albums: Brotherhood of Stars and Os Amores Libres are what I'd call "bad albums of good music": individual songs are stunning (who wouldn't want to hear Dulce Ponte wringing her heart out on a Colimbra fado, or Teresa Salgueiro sing about an old widow condemned as a witch?), but I wouldn't want to listen to either album in its entirety: they are like a pan-cultural jumble sale, completely incoherent. Nunez wished to prove his point about unity between musical traditions, turned out he extenuated the differences.

His later albums, Mayo Longo and Finisterres , are narrower in scope, but are more focused and thus make a more satisfying listen.

Also, the Live in Spain album by the Scottish group Skyedance is very much stepped in the Galician tradition, and the playing of fiddler Alasdair Fraser is enthalling as always.

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #191 of 293
I recommended Archipelago in the acid jazz thread. It's a trio of bassoon, accordion, and drums. They play jazz and tangos, including arrangements of Bartok, Stairway to Heaven, and Walk on the Wild Side. It's very unusual and very enjoyable.
e72713ds8yd.jpg

A favorite of mine is jazz guitarist turned world musician, Steve Tibbetts. I own 2 of his world music CDs, both of which are AMG Album Picks.

He as 2 CDs in colaboration with Tibetan Buddhist nun and monastic abbot Chöying Drolma. I have one of them Selwa.
It's actually hard to describe, Drolma sings Tibetan prayers and folk songs, with Tibbetts playing guitar. To get a better idea, please listen to the samples on allmusic.com or amazon.
g43706co2nz.jpg

The other CD I own is Å. Again, this is a hard to describe, so I'll just take the description from allmusic.com
Quote:

It is rare that one finds a recording like no other: music with such a unique texture and sensibility that it offers a new landscape for the mind. This collaboration between American guitarist Tibbets and Swedish violinist Hamre forges folk tunes into abstract soundscapes where melody is just out of reach, but still haunts your perception. Producers Tibbets and Marc Anderson layer the music with additional strings and subtle percussion to create something that is not new age, but not traditional: a music that seems deeply rooted in a place, even if that place is ephemeral. Remarkable.

d93459kt999.jpg

If you want to by Å new, you can get it from http://www.frammis.com.

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #193 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]Anoushka Shankar - Rise[/size]

Rise_shankar.jpg

i doubt she needs an introduction, but here goes anyways and another one to look out for:

Anoushka Shankar (b. June 9, 1981) is a sitar player and composer in the United Kingdom. She is the daughter of Ravi Shankar, Indian sitar player, and Sukanya Rajan. Through her father, she is the half-sister of Grammy winner Norah Jones.

Shankar was born in London. When she was nine years old, her father began training her in the sitar. She gave a public performance at the age of thirteen; since then she has become a world famous sitar artist.

After her mother reunited with Mr Shankar, from age seven on she lived in Encinitas, CA, USA where she gave several charity performances as a teenager and graduated from the local public high school.

In an hour-long special on the US public TV network PBS she once explained that this is how she picked up her American accent, which according to her, her Indian fans find "cute".

In 1998, Shankar played at a gala dinnner for guests including British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook, in recognition of which she was presented with a House of Commons Shield. In February 2000, Shankar became the first woman to perform at The Ramakrishna Centre in Calcutta. The Indian Television Academy, Asmi, and India Times chose her as one of four Women of the Year in India in 2003. In 2004 she was chosen as one of twenty Asian Heroes by the Asia edition of Time magazine.

Her album Rise was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Contemporary World Music category. This was Shankar's second Grammy nomination. She also became the first Indian woman to perform at the Grammy Awards when she performed during the pre-telecast ceremony of the 48th awards.

She played sitar at the Concert for George, a memorial to George Harrison on the first anniversary of his death. The concert was held at the Royal Albert Hall in London on November 29, 2002.

as usual, be back at some point with more...i think i've had enough for today

This is by far one of my favorite albums, though sitar purists claim that her skills are elementary at best.
blink.gif
Personally, I love it and listen to this album at least once a week while working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back