World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement
Sep 25, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #511 of 629
My RE00 arrived today. Initial impressions: Great clarity, easy to drive, fairly comfortable, airy treble, defined midrange, bass light. Despite the treble and midrange being featured, I find the RE 00 to be non-fatiguing. The RE00 seems to be a great value and provides a wonderful complement to other earphones in the sub-$100 range with bass north of neutral. I'll be buying a backup set if/when Massdrop has another drop.

Are you familiar with the old Re-Zero? If so, how do they compare?

Mine arrived at the house that's 700 miles away that I'll be moving to next week. So it'll be a little over a week until I get to hear them. I never got an email with a tracking number by the way.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #512 of 629
Got my RE-00 in yesterday. As soon as I fired up the first song, I was immediately hit with that classic RE-0 clarity and sparkle. Detail resolution is very high. 

Reminds me a lot of an RE-0 with a bit of the RE-400's lushness. I love it.

Build-wise, the cable seems much improved, as promised.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #513 of 629
  Got my RE-00 in yesterday. As soon as I fired up the first song, I was immediately hit with that classic RE-0 clarity and sparkle. Detail resolution is very high. 

Reminds me a lot of an RE-0 with a bit of the RE-400's lushness. I love it.

Build-wise, the cable seems much improved, as promised.

How does it compare to the RE-Zero?

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #514 of 629
Are you familiar with the old Re-Zero? If so, how do they compare?

Mine arrived at the house that's 700 miles away that I'll be moving to next week. So it'll be a little over a week until I get to hear them. I never got an email with a tracking number by the way.

Sorry, the RE00 is the first HifiMan product I have owned/used.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #515 of 629
Liking the RE00 so far.  I'm mostly using it with the conform super isolating tips with ear wax guard, which are the bassiest, most treble reducing of the conform tips, and it seems to be a good match.  Will rotate some other tips with it over the next few weeks, but really, these are the tips that I bought it for, as I wanted a super isolating relatively cheap IEM for some upcoming trips.  I hate the idea of taking, and potentially losing, $700-$2000 custom molded IEMs on international trips, so I wanted something that could take one of the super isolating foam tips, which tend to be bassier/roll off some treble, and sound pretty neutral thereafter.  The RE00 fit that bill.  

Some of the nicest, smoothest vocals I've heard out of a universal IEM.  Bass is lacking.  No way around that.  It's not awful, but it's certainly less bass than neutral.  Mids are sublime.  Treble is fine.  It doesn't take my breath away with extension, but it also doesn't offend in the treble.  

Very good dynamics, punchy without being obnoxious.

Soundstage is a little wonky.  It's very hard left/right/center.  Left and right are decently wide, and center is right in front of your face, creating a very disconnected soundstage.  It's the normal headphone disconnected soundstage, taken to an extreme.  To some this will sound wide, to me it just sounds weird.  If you have crossfeed available in your system, definitely use it with these.

For the price I find the midrange resolution great.  Bass resolution is fine as well, but is hard to hear, due to the lowered bass levels.  What I will say about the bass, while it's overall lowered, it is flat, in that it does have decent sub bass extension.  The very lower midrange is also a bit sucked out. While it sounds very smooth, it does lack some body.   Treble resolution is a bit lacking, but that may be the tips I am using.  I will report back after I do some tip rolling.  

The very good midrange resolution means that it scales up fairly well with good amps and DACs.  It doesn't need the power of an amp very much (I was under half power on my iPhone), but does, I think improve with a cleaner amp/DAC.  Sounded great out of my m9XX.  Amping didn't change or improve the tonal balance.  No magic increase in bass.  But I wasn't expecting that out of a neutral amp/DAC like the m9XX.  But they do definitely sound great straight out of the iPhone too.  Haven't had a chance to try them with the dragonfly red yet, 

Isolation with these tips is very, very good.  To me isolation in universal IEMs depends more on the tips than anything, but it's at least worth mentioning, I guess.

Cable has virtually no microphonics, which is a big plus for me.  It also seems to be a very robust build quality overall, which was the big criticism of its predecessor, these feel very solid.  I feel like these will take a lot of abuse and keep on ticking.  I hate angle terminations, but that's HiFiMan's thing, shrug.  I may eventually reterminate.  Cable kinks pretty easily, but I think/hope that goes away over time.

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #516 of 629

How does it compare to the RE-Zero?

I haven't put tons of hours into them, so I don't yet want to go too far into impressions, but I can say a little. Between the -0 and the -ZERO, I think the latter's owners will be most quickly familiar, with the -00's sound signature. It really reminds me a lot of the ZERO, particularly with the presentation of the mids: very clear, slightly warm, also containing a bit of the RE-400's lushness, definitely not dry as some described the RE-0's. The treble is very clear, but doesn't extend as far as the -0's. The bass is not going to boom, as one should expect if they owned either of it predecessors. The lows are competent and accurate, extending well, but there's no rumble.

My no longer working RE-ZERO is still in the running to be my favorite IEM ever, so this one being close to the recreation of a classic has me incredibly thrilled. 

I'm almost ready to just call them a modern take on the RE-ZERO, but let's see how they sound in 50+ hours. Its very much a mix of the ZERO and -0, with a little RE-400 (just not the bass).

Either way, having a throwback to the beginning's of Hifiman's old IEM house sound for just $35 is fabulous.

All impressions coming from my Geek Out.

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #517 of 629
I haven't put tons of hours into them, so I don't yet want to go too far into impressions, but I can say a little. Between the -0 and the -ZERO, I think the latter's owners will be most quickly familiar, with the -00's sound signature. It really reminds me a lot of the ZERO, particularly with the presentation of the mids: very clear, slightly warm, also containing a bit of the RE-400's lushness, definitely not dry as some described the RE-0's. The treble is very clear, but doesn't extend as far as the -0's. The bass is not going to boom, as one should expect if they owned either of it predecessors. The lows are competent and accurate, extending well, but there's no rumble.

My no longer working RE-ZERO is still in the running to be my favorite IEM ever, so this one being close to the recreation of a classic has me incredibly thrilled. 

I'm almost ready to just call them a modern take on the RE-ZERO, but let's see how they sound in 50+ hours.

All impressions coming from my Geek Out.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully I agree when I get a chance to hear mine. I love my RE-Zero, but I don't like the fact that they are irreplaceable. They still work perfectly, but I just worry that one day they wont. If these sound 98% the same, then I'll be very happy to have found a replacement. If I like them as much as my Zero, then if they do another drop, then I'll probably order another backup pair.

Also, being that they are 64ohm, it will trigger the high gain mode on my LG V10!

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #518 of 629
excited to use these as the last Hifiman's I owned were the He -400's, but they haven't arrived yet. DHL said they gave em to USPS, USPS tracking says they haven't received yet.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #524 of 629
Got mine (HE350) over the weekend. Fantastic headphones overall, especially for the price. Possibly the best over ear headphones I have heard under $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back