World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement
Apr 26, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 629

The HE-350 ($99.99) is an open-back dynamic headphone. We started with the HE-300, replaced the driver, updated the frame to HiFiMAN’s newest revision, and updated the removable cables to use HiFiMAN’s latest 2.5mm termination (at the earcups, cable ends in a 3.5mm).

So you made a completely new headphone?
Anyways, the frequency response seems a bit reminiscent of that of the HD800.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #17 of 629
Got the email, very interesting for sure. Hard to know which to pick up. Since it's a massdrop exclusive, and the ship dates tend to be months after orders placed, you'd think that if you didn't like it, you could resell very near your cost. All the massdrop collaborations so far have been pretty great successes, and I doubt this will be any different. It obviously shows that massdrop has pretty big aspirations, and it will be really interesting to see if this pans out. I don't see why not, but it would be really interesting to see all the numbers behind these massdrop exclusives.

You'd think that massdrop is merely providing a buyer base and that the companies are pretty much designing the products themselves, but you have to ask why they'd let md in on the money. Does md really not take that much money to do this? Can md really sustain that type of business model of being a very cheap distributor? Or are they building a brand here, and will expand later. Or maybe they really are establishing a reputation of being able to bring something to the table in terms of design and engineering. Again, just my musings I'm choosing to type down. Whether massdrop exists like this in 5 years will be really interesting.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #18 of 629
Joining the drop on this tomorrow alongside the Purpleheart. Beyond excited to see how this turns out as Im purchasing them as a pair of neutral cans for my gf. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 629
I glanced over the email on my phone while out shopping and saw it was a Hifiman collaboration and I was sooo hoping it would be a cheap small planar like the T50RP.  Oh well.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #21 of 629
  I'm curious to hear Hifiman's house sound, if you will, and the reputation precedes them.

Anyone have a guess how they'd compare to the HE300? These are dynamic, not expecting to get planar for this price, but still worth an ask. The more "fun" sound coming from other Hifiman headphones (as opposed to my favorites, AKG) makes me intrigued. The warmer bass wouldn't be amiss....

Thanks!

When I had the HE300, they would sound a little weird when I preceded them with a more neutral headphone.  They had a scooped out midrange, I thought. But after a few minutes, I would get used to them, and enjoy 'em.  They had a good, strong, deep bass.  I had the HE400i for some overlapping time with them, and the 2 headphones were very different.  I haven't figured out a Hifiman house sound.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #22 of 629
Having owned the HE-300 as my first headphone and now also having the TH-X00, I'm really impressed at how cheap this is.

At $99 dollars I would suggest this to everyone considering that it is one of, if not the best bang for buck headphone you could get. As long as the sound is close to the original HE-300.

Also adding Brainwavz Hm5 angled pads really added nice bass to the 300 so hopefully the same is true with these.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #25 of 629
  Back in the day I really enjoyed my RE-0's.  That looks like a good deal for the price.  I also very much enjoyed two sets of RE-400s; unfortunately both died relatively quickly from the same ill, the left channels ceased functioning.

HiFiMAN is great at tuning, it's too bad their quality control is so poor.

I agree, the QC is a joke these days, are they the one's building the units, or are you guys at MassDrop inspecting and testing the units they've built 

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #26 of 629
Very tempted to try both at that price. I need a budget IEM for travel, and inexpensive variety in fullsized can't hurt me. For anyone familiar with HiFIMAN products, what's the clamping force like? I think my head is a little on the big size and I don't want to buy another headache :).

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #27 of 629
  Very tempted to try both at that price. I need a budget IEM for travel, and inexpensive variety in fullsized can't hurt me. For anyone familiar with HiFIMAN products, what's the clamping force like? I think my head is a little on the big size and I don't want to buy another headache :).

Assuming it's the same as the 400i, it'll be quite clampy and stiff at first.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #28 of 629
I remember posting how I wanted HFM to get in contact with Massdrop take the ORIGINAL HE-400, and make a worthy successor, with it's best traits, same bass, with less of the zingy treble. We have been asking for it for YEARS now, only to get fake HE-400 successors that sound nothing like the original, and in fact took away what made the HE-400 popular to begin with.

So to my surprise, I see HFM and Massdrop collaborated...only to find they worked on the WRONG headphone.

Ah well.

Here's hoping for next time.

Call me when we get a Massdrop HE4XX.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #29 of 629
I remember posting how I wanted HFM to get in contact with Massdrop take the the ORIGINAL HE-400, and make a worthy successor, with it's best traits, same bass, with less of the zingy treble. We have been asking for it for YEARS now, only to get fake HE-400 successors that sound nothing like the original, and in fact took away what made the HE-400 popular to begin with.

So to my surprise, I see HFM and Massdrop collaborated...only to find they worked on the WRONG headphone.

Ah well.

Here's hoping for next time.

Call me when we get a Massdrop HE4XX.

There's lots I'd like to do with HM's double sided magnet structures : )

EDIT: Original post said "Aight". Seemed sarcastic after reading a couple times so I changed my post to be more literal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back