workout/running IEM
Oct 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

andrelealn

New Head-Fier
I have a weird ear canal and most IEM do not fit well, on most cases they will fall from my ears while moving my head or walking. so after years of fighting with that and looping cords around my ears so the earphones would not fall(I still had to push them back into the canal every few minutes) I found the bose IE2 with their nifty stabilizers.
alright, the bose buds fit very nicely and secure on my ears but there are certain problems, they're bose phones, I absolutely hate the sound quality and the V-curve. but that's not all, I usually run on a noisy beachside avenue and these IE2s have no isolation at all.
I have tried about 12 diferent earphones and they all fall from my ears so some sort of hook/stabilizer is needed.

now that you know my story maybe you can help me. my priorities with these phones are:
1st. secure fit
2nd. isolation
3rd. sound quality

money is not really a problem, within reason obviously, I'm not going to drop 250 bucks on a workout IEM but up to 180 is ok with me as long as they stay in my ears.

PS: I hate those around the head earphones like the senn/adidas ones.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 5
This may help... perfect for isolation and will fit any ear (guaranteed by the company)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630347/review-airbuds-iems-comfort-and-quality-for-a-great-price

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I have a weird ear canal and most IEM do not fit well, on most cases they will fall from my ears while moving my head or walking. so after years of fighting with that and looping cords around my ears so the earphones would not fall(I still had to push them back into the canal every few minutes) I found the bose IE2 with their nifty stabilizers.
alright, the bose buds fit very nicely and secure on my ears but there are certain problems, they're bose phones, I absolutely hate the sound quality and the V-curve. but that's not all, I usually run on a noisy beachside avenue and these IE2s have no isolation at all.
I have tried about 12 diferent earphones and they all fall from my ears so some sort of hook/stabilizer is needed.

now that you know my story maybe you can help me. my priorities with these phones are:
1st. secure fit
2nd. isolation
3rd. sound quality

money is not really a problem, within reason obviously, I'm not going to drop 250 bucks on a workout IEM but up to 180 is ok with me as long as they stay in my ears.

PS: I hate those around the head earphones like the senn/adidas ones.

Etymotics will never fall out, unless you have buckets for ear canals. My right ear has a weird fit with IEMs as well, and my ER4Ps with tri-flanges dig completely into the canals, ridculously intrusive, ridculously good seal. The HF5s are around 110 on Amazon. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the same problem... I have to shove the IEMs in my ears to get them to stay and even then they slip out. Im not trying to knock it down bud AirBuds did not stay in my ears at all.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 5
I posted it in Wyatt's thread but I'll post here as well.  I've gone through my fair share of iem's for running/working out and for running, nothing makes me more irritated than to mess with my gear.  I've tried the Bose ie2, Soundmagic E30, Thinksound MS01, Jaybird Freedom, Audeo Phonak (too expensive to use outside but for me they just don't stay in while running) and some cheaper Sony's and JVC's.   I happened to see a new one from Sennheiser/Adidas so I snagged it to try and figured I had 14 days to return them if they didn't work out.  It's the OCX 685i (soft ear hook) and my big test was my 10k - they didn't budge.  The remote works really well and once they're in, I forget about them completely.  The sound is detailed and they have fairly decent bass which isn't overpowering.  I'm a musician/singer so trust me - if they sounded awful, they would have gone back regardless of how they fit.  These isolate really well if you use the right tip and insert them all the way.  My priorities are in line with yours when it comes to an iem for working out.  I want good sound but that doesn't matter if they won't stay in or don't serve the intended purpose. Good luck!

**Edit: Off and on I notice maybe a minimal amount of slight distortion and possibly sibilance but it's very song-dependent. I also want to throw out there that if I want to really listen to my music I have way better iem's for that purpose (listed in my profile).  This pair is specifically for the gym (elliptical, weights, etc.), running outside 15-20+ miles/wk and mowing the lawn. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back