working with wood - how can I learn it?
Aug 20, 2007 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KT88

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I would like to learn how to work with wood (make headphone stands, grado woodies, etc) what sited would you recommend me?

Thank You
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 13
Greetings KT88,
in my opinion things like wood working or forging are best learned if you have your own teacher. A friend or weekend workshops... or something like this. It's one thing to read a bunch of books and websites about this stuff but totally another to make these things with your own hands...
I'd suggest you try to find someone in your city/neighborhood.

Good night and good luck.
bearmann

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 13
I agree with XGJFilmsX you need tools and their number and price depends on the quality and complexity of ur desired work. For begining what XGJFilmsX suggest could be enough but i would add a router too. Its good to develop a steady hand with these tools. Good luck.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 13
Thank you all. I do understand that learning online isn't the best option, but unfortunately its the only option I've got in my city, so its better than nothing. Any recommended sited?

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 13
My advice... When you buy a tool for a particular project, buy the best one you can afford. Having the right tools for the job makes a big difference, and learning with cheap tools can be frustrating and much more difficult. No need to waste money on cheap tools only to have to replace them when you need ones that are better made to match your improved skills.

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 13
I only buy good tools, its something I've learned a long while ago when I've started soldering. I've bought a nice soldering iron, DMM, and many other tools. Now that I'm into wood it seems very expensive. A good router seems to costs about 150-200$ over here in Israel.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 13
I guess you can have everything for the right price
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I've worked with a few types which I dont know how they are called in English. I only know one of them was Paduak.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #12 of 13
KT88:

One tool that I can recommend would be a wood lathe. It is a lot of fun to use, and you could almost teach yourself to use it. You mount a block of wood onto the centering pins and basically knock off all the corners with a sharp chisel until it becomes round. Then you use sand paper to smooth the surface and then apply polish, all while it is rotating. Just think of the beautiful wooden earphone cups that you could build! :wink:

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KT88:

One tool that I can recommend would be a wood lathe. It is a lot of fun to use, and you could almost teach yourself to use it. You mount a block of wood onto the centering pins and basically knock off all the corners with a sharp chisel until it becomes round. Then you use sand paper to smooth the surface and then apply polish, all while it is rotating. Just think of the beautiful wooden earphone cups that you could build! :wink:

Oh be carefull though, there are a lot of small things you need to know to stay relatively safe. Where to place your tool rest, and how to hold the gouge itself can go a long way to keep you from serious injury. I agree it's relatively easy to get started, but do read all the safety precautions that come with any tool as a minimum before diving in. The lathe is a tool you can have some fun with immediately, but it can take decades to master it. That's a good thing in my opinion, because you never get bored with it, you're always learning something new.

There just isn't any substitute for hands on experience with woodworking. You have to start and screw a few projects up before you'll start to get a feel for it. And every wood is different. Just start with less expensive woods. Patience with sanding and finishing is a must for good results, there's no shortcuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back