Working out with custom IEMs?
Dec 13, 2006 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SLCentral

Head-Fier
Anyone have any idea as to how well the UE-5c's would hold up while running? I plan on getting into running a few miles a day, and I'd love to use them while I run, but if it can cause damage...

Anyone have any idea? I'd appreciate it!

Oh, and while I'm at it, my UE-5c cable, after just 4 months of use, is already completely green. After talking to UE, they told me that it's not covered under warranty. I understand it doesn't effect sound quality, but it looks disgusting, and I feel like it should be covered. Anyone have any other luck with UE in getting a replacement? I've always been impressed with UE in terms of customer service, but I feel like they're dropping the ball here.

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any idea as to how well the UE-5c's would hold up while running? I plan on getting into running a few miles a day, and I'd love to use them while I run, but if it can cause damage...

Anyone have any idea? I'd appreciate it!

Oh, and while I'm at it, my UE-5c cable, after just 4 months of use, is already completely green. After talking to UE, they told me that it's not covered under warranty. I understand it doesn't effect sound quality, but it looks disgusting, and I feel like it should be covered. Anyone have any other luck with UE in getting a replacement? I've always been impressed with UE in terms of customer service, but I feel like they're dropping the ball here.

Most people hear have a problem running with IEMS (custom or otherwise) because of the sound that is transfered through the bones to the inner ear. Everytime you're foot comes down you will hear a thud. This didn't bother me all that much when I used to regularly run on a tread mill. The few times I did run on asphalt and concrete with my IEMs in it was a little worse than the treadmill because the treadmill absorbs some of the impact that creates the sound.

It seems that you've already had your UE-5cs for some time, so you probably already knew about the problem I mentioned above. I think that custom IEMs, especially, are very durable and are probably going to hold up better than any other solution for running/excercise. I highly doubt you will do any damage to your IEMs directly related to running unless you maybe step on the cord or something.

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 5
You should be able to work out in the UEs. Remember, most of the UE custom line is designed for performers/techs and should be able to withstand sweat, etc. UE sells drying products for this purpose. That said, because the UE-5c is specifically designed for use with portable players, you probably should give them a call about it for their recommendation about exercising with the earpieces.

Dec 13, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to work out in the UEs. Remember, most of the UE custom line is designed for performers/techs and should be able to withstand sweat, etc. UE sells drying products for this purpose. That said, because the UE-5c is specifically designed for use with portable players, you probably should give them a call about it for their recommendation about exercising with the earpieces.

Great, thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif
. I've noticed the problem with hearing my feet on the ground, but it doesn't seem to effect me that much. I've run with them a few times, and I barely noticed it. I just wanted to make sure I'm not breaking my IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll give em a call tomorrow just be sure.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back