Working man’s Focal Stellia options
Nov 27, 2021 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Clay49

100+ Head-Fier
I have been reading up on the Focal Stellia, and they seem very impressive… I have not had the chance to hear them, but was just wondering, those of you who know these headphones well, what might be “the next best thing“ at about half the price of the Stella? I am specifically looking for closed back. I realize you can’t go apples to apples when you go half the price, But are there some options that would be considered “runners up” for around $1500 or less?

I am a professional musician, and I listen to all sorts of music, but mainly classic rock, symphonic/cinematic music scores, and orchestral and sacred choral music.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Take a look at this thread. For classic rock I love the Denon AH-D9200s, they are around your budget. But, for the other genres you listed, I think you will have a better experience with the Sony Z1Rs (I want to try them, I have it's little brother, the Sony Z7s, and pairs well with those genres you listed).

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Take a look at this thread. For classic rock I love the Denon AH-D9200s, they are around your budget. But, for the other genres you listed, I think you will have a better experience with the Sony Z1Rs (I want to try them, I have it's little brother, the Sony Z7s, and pairs well with those genres you listed).
Thank you, Terriero! I’ll chase these down!

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 9
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 9
I dropped all three of these in the oratory grapher headphones comparison grid and it “appears” that both the Celeste and Radiance are extremely close in audio characteristics across the spectrum...anyone compared these three???

https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory/headphones?ids=100,142,164
You can ask to @AudioDuck. I think he compared the Focal models you listed with Stellia (I don't know if he tried Radiance). Here he talks about. Maybe he can help you.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 9
You can ask to @AudioDuck. I think he compared the Focal models you listed with Stellia (I don't know if he tried Radiance). Here he talks about. Maybe he can help you.
Thanks @Terriero !

@Clay49 , I owned a Focal Radiance and only a generous milestone birthday gift put me in position to sell them and buy a used Stellia.

Before I shipped the Radiance to its new owner, I (carefully) used it for a comparison vs. the Stellia. While the Stellia is my end game and I will lovingly maintain them and grow old with them, the Radiance is a phenomenal headphone. I would even argue it’s a little more comfortable than the Stellia- the pads are RIDICULOUS.

The main sonic differences I found in my quick comparison:
  • Stellia:
    • More detailed overall across the spectrum
    • Very balanced and harmonious tonally
    • Lovely extension of treble and bass both
    • While not euphonic on its own, has great synergy (apologies for the buzzword) with warmer amps and transmits their sweetness- in my case the Violectric V200 and Feliks Echo
    • Of course, great comfort and build quality- but that is expected…
  • Radiance:
    • Top-notch comfort and very high build quality. Arguably unbeatable comfort for anything under $2K
    • Warmer tone overall than the Stellia (or Elear, my go-to open-back headphone). Clearly noticeable in the midrange and heavier bass (particularly mid bass) emphasis
    • More forgiving of older/poorer recordings
    • Just plain fun to listen to- great rock/pop headphone. Could get too dense in the lower frequencies with my warmth-oriented signal chain with bass-heavy material
    • On the flip side, best paired with more neutral amps- I’d avoid going too warm overall with source and amplification
Overall, I would have been very happy with the Radiance for years, and would have considered them my end game headphones. My only concern with them was bass density with some genres given my setup, but with more neutral gear you should be very happy.

Headphones.com has them for $990 right now, an excellent deal.

I would note that the Radiance is not voiced like other Focal headphones- they are warmer and slightly less quick/dynamic overall. But that’s not a detriment, merely a difference. If that concerns you, the Celestee would be the better choice from what I’ve read.

For classic rock, the Radiance would be a great choice. Not sure about classical music- everything I’ve read about the Denon 9200 indicates it’s more of an all-rounder, which seems to be true for the Celestee as well.

Best of luck, enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks @Terriero !

@Clay49 , I owned a Focal Radiance and only a generous milestone birthday gift put me in position to sell them and buy a used Stellia.

Before I shipped the Radiance to its new owner, I (carefully) used it for a comparison vs. the Stellia. While the Stellia is my end game and I will lovingly maintain them and grow old with them, the Radiance is a phenomenal headphone. I would even argue it’s a little more comfortable than the Stellia- the pads are RIDICULOUS.

The main sonic differences I found in my quick comparison:
  • Stellia:
    • More detailed overall across the spectrum
    • Very balanced and harmonious tonally
    • Lovely extension of treble and bass both
    • While not euphonic on its own, has great synergy (apologies for the buzzword) with warmer amps and transmits their sweetness- in my case the Violectric V200 and Feliks Echo
    • Of course, great comfort and build quality- but that is expected…
  • Radiance:
    • Top-notch comfort and very high build quality. Arguably unbeatable comfort for anything under $2K
    • Warmer tone overall than the Stellia (or Elear, my go-to open-back headphone). Clearly noticeable in the midrange and heavier bass (particularly mid bass) emphasis
    • More forgiving of older/poorer recordings
    • Just plain fun to listen to- great rock/pop headphone. Could get too dense in the lower frequencies with my warmth-oriented signal chain with bass-heavy material
    • On the flip side, best paired with more neutral amps- I’d avoid going too warm overall with source and amplification
Overall, I would have been very happy with the Radiance for years, and would have considered them my end game headphones. My only concern with them was bass density with some genres given my setup, but with more neutral gear you should be very happy.

Headphones.com has them for $990 right now, an excellent deal.

I would note that the Radiance is not voiced like other Focal headphones- they are warmer and slightly less quick/dynamic overall. But that’s not a detriment, merely a difference. If that concerns you, the Celestee would be the better choice from what I’ve read.

For classic rock, the Radiance would be a great choice. Not sure about classical music- everything I’ve read about the Denon 9200 indicates it’s more of an all-rounder, which seems to be true for the Celestee as well.

Best of luck, enjoy the music!
Thank you, audioduck! How does the Celestee fit into all of this? I know they are cheaper than the radiance, but they seem to have a similar tracking on the oratory Grapher… I know that does not always translate when you actually put them on and listen. Have you heard the Celestee?

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Thank you, audioduck! How does the Celestee fit into all of this? I know they are cheaper than the radiance, but they seem to have a similar tracking on the oratory Grapher… I know that does not always translate when you actually put them on and listen. Have you heard the Celestee?
Unfortunately I have not. There should be comparisons online either here or by press, however. I recall those citing the Celestee as being more neutral with less warmth and bass emphasis, but I recommend some Internet searching to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back