Workhorse Headphones - Repairable - Inexpensive - Recommendations?
Nov 19, 2009 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nullphi

New Head-Fier
I am the chief engineer of a college radio station, and I am looking for a new workhorse headphone for our on-air studio. For the past few years we have used Sennheiser HD-202s, but these simply do not last in this environment.

I have been looking at the Sennheiser HD-205s, but many reviews complain about tightness. I would hate to field complaints from dozens of students, as there would be no real solution. I have also been looking at the Sennheiser HD-201s, but I fear they are about as resilient as the 202s.

I am looking for headphones that feature a single cable (a 'y' style cable seems to be too prone to breakage) and a price of not more than $70(the lower the better, I have better things to purchase). I also need to be able to repair these when they break -- mainly cord issues, but inexpensive replacement drivers and pads would be a plus.

Oh, they also have to look professional and expensive. I know it seems like a lame requirement, but so many judgments are made on looks alone. Can Head-Fi help me out in this specific request?

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 24
I really need to take a listen to some Beyers, just for my personal knowledge. We have three Beyer DT290 headsets for remote broadcasting, but these are not for general listening.

I have also been looking at the Sony MDR-V6 and the Audio-Technica ATH-M30, but the small exposed wires for each earcup frighten me a little. I also looked briefly at the Sennheiser 515s. Any input would be appreciated.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try the GMP 8.35.

$250 > $70

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 24
How much does a used DT770pro go for thse days?
Just about nothing will break them (and theyre easy to open if you rip the cord out).

Otherwise, what about a Shure SRH240?

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 24
HD-555. Single cable and cheap replacement parts. I've seen them go as low as 60.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 24
I have the HD205, they never loosen up. They don't sound that great either. My PortaPros really give them a good thrashing.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #11 of 24
He still wants not more than 70.

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 24
If open is a possibility the Audio Technica AD700 fit every demand you've made. They are just barely above your price maximum at $82 (cheapest on a froogle search). Single cable, professional look, great sound quality, very comfortable.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 24
Thanks loopfreak! I had no idea that the parts are that easily replaceable if need be. I like the fact that I will be able to throw my pair of 25-1 II's around a bit without worrying about damage. I expect they will be my perfect upscale portables (the low-scale being the beloved PortaPro's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back