Work Headphones
Mar 16, 2010 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mcdojohn

New Head-Fier
Let me start by apologizing for posting this topic as I'm certain information pertaining to this has been posted. However, in my defense I didn't just pop on here and post, I read through some old threads, did a little searching and ultimately decided it would be best to try and clearly state what I am looking for and see if the clearly knowledgeable people in this forum could help direct me to what I'm looking for (even if that is just linking me to the forum post that already covers this and calling me an idiot).

My situation:

I work in a shared office with one other person, which has an open door leading into two adjacent offices with one person in each. I do mentally challenging work and it is difficult for me to concentrate when I am inundated with chatter and overheard phones calls and such.

Here is my wishlist for the headphones:
1. Best quality without investing in an amp, and I would like the cord only running to one can, preferably with a connector that will plug into my ipod without an adapter.
2. Shut out outside noise well. I understand that noise cancelling headphone generally don't block out people talking very well and often make it feel as though your ear is experiencing pressure, but I'm open to this if I'm wrong.
3. Closed phones that encompass my ear entirely, and do the best job of keeping the sound contained so that other people in the office are not hearing what I am hearing.
4. I listen to a wide range of music but probably mostly 90s rock, 80s power ballads, folk, and classical. I'd like the best sound that can encompass a wide range.
5. I'd prefer not to spend more than $150-200

Thanks in advance for your help and if there is any information I have failed to provide that would make it easier for you to help me target in on the right phones for me, please let me know.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 25
The Ultrasone HFi 780s might be good for you.

-- They sound quite good without an external amplifier. The cord is single-sided and terminated in a 1/8" jack (standard for iPods, laptops, etc.).

-- They are not noise-canceling, but they do isolate very well.

-- They are closed and circumaural (around-ear), and they keep your music to yourself (isolation works both ways -- noise stays out and music stays in).

-- They are generally versatile and perform pretty well for all genres. They sound very good for rock, probably decent for folk, and while they may not be the best for classical, they'll do reasonably well.

-- They are typically $250 new, but you can find them used for much less, definitely in your $150 - $200 range.

I will say that these headphones can be a little strong on bass -- so if you dislike bass, you might want to stay away from these.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 25
Thanks for the suggestion Sophonax, I'll look into those. I did remember one other thing to put on my wishlist.

6. Comfort. I will likely be wearing these around 5 to 6 hours a day.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 25
Audio Technica ATH-A700. They meet all your criteria and can be had from Amazon for like $120.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdojohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6. Comfort. I will likely be wearing these around 5 to 6 hours a day.

The Ultrasones aren't bad for comfort either. They can clamp a little tight, but I was recently informed that the headband can be stretched a bit to alleviate some of the clamping pressure. It's mentioned in the following guide:

Guide to Ultrasones

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdojohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any Sennheiser phones that you think would fit what I'm looking for?

The only one I know of is the HD280 but they aren't known for comfort and there are better options for sound quality. There is also the HD25-1 but they are on ear as opposed to over ear.

You might want to consider an Audio Technica M50. I think it fits all of your criteria. Can't tell you how it performs with the genres you listen to but FWIR it's a solid phone.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 25
I don't have personal experience with the headphones already mentioned in this thread as it relates to non-amplification, but if you don't have much money, I would highly recommend getting a PA2V2 from Gary at Electric Avenues. It's only $60, and at that price you can pick up a pair of AKG 271 MKII's (or one of the other mentioned) for a grand total price of very close to $200.

That little amp is about the best sound value/price of anything I know of.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 25
Etymotic ER6i

Incredible isolation - these things are like earplugs. If I use them at home the wife gets all bent. She hates them since I can't hear a thing she says. I've used them on the plane and blocked out a tremendous amount of white noise. I'm actually able to listen to my ZuneHD at a low volume (not much louder than at home/work) because the isolation is so good.

Comfortable - I can wear them for 8 hours straight at work

Sound - very nice sound. Not as good as my full cans, but to me they sound great and make the most of the music from my Zune.

Price - about $70 on Amazon.

For the chord, it is compatible with any portable device. It does have a wire for each in-ear monitor, but you can clip the cable to your clothing to help out.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 25
I wear my ATH m50s 8+ hours a day. Cost $90 and works for all your desires. The biggest problem is getting past the head squeeze the first couple weeks. A couple weeks of wearing them and they are wonderful.

I work in a cubicle farm incase that helps in any way ....

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 25
Just wondering why you are after closed cans instead of IEMs? If you want isolation, they are a damn good start.
Just out of interest why do they need to have only a cable on one side?

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 25
My vote goes for the Sennheiser HD-280PRO and the Audio-Technica QuietPoint ATH-ANC7, they are some of the best noise cancelling headphones for office use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back