Work headphones broke after 4 years of use... need suggestions for replacement
Feb 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pezhore

New Head-Fier
I had a pair of unbranded Brainwavz hm5 from Jaycar in Australia that worked great - well worth the shipping to the states. They quickly became my go-to headphones for work not only because they kept out ambient sound from my fellow cube-dwellers (essential for voip calls) but also for their noise containing abilities - I can listen to loud music and nobody is the wiser.

Unfortunately, this afternoon the plastic stress fractured at the joint between ear and head band. I'm a bit crushed - but stoked that I can try a new set of cans. Here are my requirements:

1. Price: less than $125 USD (with shipping)
  2. Removable/replaceable cord
  3. Passive noise cancelling/noise isolation
  4. Play nice with stock Dell audio card as well as my FiiO e07k Amp/Dac
  5. Comfortable (physically & listening) for extended listening

I'm currently looking at the M-Audio Q40 set - I had previously purchased those for my niece and they seemed nice (the folding is not necessary and I'm concerned about long term viability). Additionally, I've kept my eye on the KNS8400 cans - reviews seem good, but I'm concerned about noise leakage.

I listen to pretty much everything from rock to classical (I'm especially fond of epic film scores during coding sessions) to the occasional bass-heavy dance.

Any ideas/something else I should look at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back