words on sony cd780...
Oct 13, 2003 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BrooklynRick

100+ Head-Fier
anyone have any comment on the sony mdr-cd780. I searched the forums and came back with an unsatisfyingly few results. i guess this is because they are relatively new. I have v6s, and eggos already, and can get 780s for a good deal, but before i drop money on them, does anyone have any comments on them?

Oct 13, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 20
They are good 'phones, I listened to them in germany, they are not closed, and leak sound out (and in), but sound much, much better than eggos, I haven't heard the V6s. I'd assume that they are better than those also, they have a weird earpad that doesn't go around the ear, it goes around it, and over it at the same time, truly unique, and very comfortable...it just takes getting used to. They are loose 'phones also, and have a 10' cord, not portable, but a great set of cans, they are easily driveable, and have awesome extension and impact.

600smile.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 20
I'm sure at that price. It's not a deal others can get is it (online store, etc.)? If so let me know!

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 20
Damn. This is a better deal than the V6's.

For those interested these are $199.99 list and around $100-$115 retail. These are reportedly very nice phones. I've tried an older version (560's) of the model right below these (570's), and I was pretty impressed. If these are the same or an improvement this is a very good deal.

Oct 13, 2003 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 20
What, no biocellulose diaphragms?
biggrin.gif

Checked some older threads... opinions vary on the MDR-CD780, but there was at least one person who felt they were "complete crap" and not sonically competitive with the V6.

$31.99 plus eCost's handling fee is $35... I think I'll go for 5 used CDs from half.com instead...
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 20
Shipping is "free". They have a goofy "handling & processing fee". Below is my breakdown. Taxes in California.

SubTotal: $31.99
Shipping: $0.00
Handling & Processing Fee: $3.95
Tax: $3.06
Grand Total: $39.00

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 20
What other headphones do they sound most like?

And they don't look very comfortable with the plastic/rubber headband that rests on your head (esp if these are heavy) and the earpads that smother your entire ear. So... anyone know?

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Csidinim And they don't look very comfortable with the plastic/rubber headband that rests on your head (esp if these are heavy) and the earpads that smother your entire ear. So... anyone know?

Can't comment on the pads. The headband design is very comfortable on other models as the sliding rubber offsets the weight of the phones as the plastic rods keep the pads somewhat pressed against your head for a gentle seal. They almost float. The downside of this "bridge" design is it's not exactly the most attractive look around.

Oct 13, 2003 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 20
ive tried the cd580, and its very, very comfy...the 780 looks to be about the same, so i wouldn't worry about comfort.

man, i need to scrounge up 35$...talk about cheap. has anyone had any problems with refurbs from ecost? if its sony doing the refurbishing, i'd imagine it wouldn't be much of an issue, but still...

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 20
im pretty sure sony is doing the refurb. i think i remember seeing it on the order when i got the V6's from ecost.

this new deal is temping too, its only 35 bucks for a decent set of cans, but i just ordered my v6's and im torn on what to do.

you guys think it would be silly of me to have v6's, 225's AND cd780's?

im sorta startting to think so but i dunno, i could always sell them back to someone here if i didnt like them. ill sleep on it for another day i guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back