Words from the Experienced. DAC issue.
Dec 7, 2007 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

classic_rock_69

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a decent cd player as mentioned in my sig, it's basic. I have a good amp and a good set of headphones.

My question for you guys is; Should I sit on this set up for a while untill I can afford a Benchmark DAC or should I get one of those beresfords for $200? Is running an external DAC of decent quality like the mk6, on a decent set up a good upgrade?

I'm inexperienced with DAC's and what kind of difference they make, any advice or knowledge you can give me would be great. Thanks.

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 7
I've owned a 7510 mk6 and heard a DAC1 in my system quite recently.
They both have a similar style of presentation, though the DAC1 is better. Personally I'm doubtful that the DAC1 is worth the extra.

However, frankly I didn't really like either that much. Now this could be system synergy or more likely just personal preference, but I found both to be dry and lacking in tonal information. So you did get the leading edges well defined, which gives the impression of lots of detail. However you don't get the rest of the note. For example, listen to a female vocalist, and you certainly get the note, but you miss a lot of the inflection on how the note is sung.
If you really want a DAC, IMO the Bel Canto DAC2 is a good deal better and can be had for the same dosh (s/h) as the DAC1.

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a 7510 mk6 and heard a DAC1 in my system quite recently.
They both have a similar style of presentation, though the DAC1 is better. Personally I'm doubtful that the DAC1 is worth the extra.

Did you own the 7510 MK6/3, or one of the earlier versions? I doubt it was the 6/3. People on hifiwigwam and pinkfishmedia are going all crazy for the 6/3 and right now it seems to be the only recommended option below the price of the DAC1.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you own the 7510 MK6/3, or one of the earlier versions? I doubt it was the 6/3. People on hifiwigwam and pinkfishmedia are going all crazy for the 6/3 and right now it seems to be the only recommended option below the price of the DAC1.

Wow, that's amazing, I knew that I should have ensured that it was a mk3.

Oh, sorry, that's missing something rather major, which is that you yourself have stated that the DAC1 has the edge on the 7510.
That's fine, but I didn't like the DAC1 either (as stated already in this post).

So your point was?

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not only the difference in DAC's but also the difference in your system with and without a DAC. What happens to the sound once you've added a DAC to a decent set up like mine?

Only a trial of a DAC or two could answer that. There is a difference between a good system and a good sounding system.

Dec 7, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only a trial of a DAC or two could answer that. There is a difference between a good system and a good sounding system.

lol, ya I'm sure that someone on this board has had a set up similar to mine and then added a DAC or someone decided to unhook their DAC to see what the differences were. I'm sure that I can get some opinions without throwing around money that I don't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back