woot ... Rio Carbon
Jan 21, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 5
That really isn't too bad at all:

Rio Carbon Pearl 6GB MP3 Player (refurb) $79.99 +$5 shipping

I don't know how it sounds, but nice storage size, 20hr battery runtime, audible support... good bang for the buck here.

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 5
This is an excellent price for a refurbished Rio Carbon Pearl 6GB with 90 day warranty. I paid over $60 for a used one with a 7 day warranty.

The Rio Carbon 6gb is one of the best audiobook players ever, IMHO. It provides all of the functionality that one needs in a player of audiobooks (mp3 and Audible).

1) Small and slim

2) Long battery life easily recharged from any USB source including USB battery packs.

3) Excellent tactile controls allow control by touch and solid enough to avoid accidental presses.

4) Audible.com book support.

5) Nine bookmarks to save both playlist and current track and position.

6) Large bright usable LCD screen.

7) Fast forward and rewind treat multiple track content seamlessly.

8) Power on/off resume.

9) EQ to fix bad sounding recordings.

10) Standard jacks / cables.

Other players do okay for audiobooks. But Ipods and Creatives do not support FF/RW treating content seamlessly. They both stop at the beginning of a track and will not rewind smoothly into the previous content. This is annoying if you want to listen to the last thirty seconds of content but you just moved into a new track. Creatives also do not save the playlist. They save the track and position, but not the audio album. Very few players support the seamless FF/RW and bookmarks. One vendor that does is Cowon/Iaudio. Iaudio has one of the best bookmarking systems. It saves up to 20 bookmarks in a playlist with track titles and does saving with a simple long press of the record button on the I 5.

Rockboxed players have a good bookmarking mechanism but provide the same kind of FF/RW as Ipods, not useful for multiple track speech content or live performances, IMHO.

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 5
Who refurbished it? Since Rio is no longer in business...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back