Wooooooo! I passed my degree!!!!
Jul 3, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #16 of 27
Nice!!! Congrats.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 27
Thanx guys, I did get drunk lol. Had to work today too so thats y i haven't replied, sorry.

I studied at Loughborough University (midlands in the UK)

As far as a job is concerned there are a lot of options. For example my housemate will be designing satellites, and two others I know will be designing Jet engines. Basically there is loads!

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #19 of 27
Congratulations with your Master degree.

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #20 of 27
Design a jet like the Concorde, that doesn't cause a sonic boom, and has enough fuel economy to stay operational. Always loved the British Airways Concorde, (French one as well).

Jul 7, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #21 of 27
Unfortunately, there is no call for such a plane at the moment. Its going more the way of better fuel economy, emissions and noise. The next big change that is likely to take place is the replacement of turbofan engines with propfan engines

Antonow_An_70_prop_detail_rvb_jno_MACS_2001_0037.03.jpg

237px-GE-36_UDF_Domke.jpg

The two pictures above are examples of propfan engines

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestSpecimen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, there is no call for such a plane at the moment. Its going more the way of better fuel economy, emissions and noise. The next big change that is likely to take place is the replacement of turbofan engines with propfan engines

Antonow_An_70_prop_detail_rvb_jno_MACS_2001_0037.03.jpg

237px-GE-36_UDF_Domke.jpg

The two pictures above are examples of propfan engines

I could swear I read about this kind of propulsion a few years ago in Mechanical Engineering Magazine.
confused.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #23 of 27
Yeah probably. It's not a new concept. It was originally tried and tested years ago when the oil crisis was in full flow. Its a more efficient propulsive system than jet engines, although a little slower. Now fuel prices are starting to rise again and with all the emissions regulations they are becoming a viable option again.

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #24 of 27
How long and what would be the costs of replacing all commercial airlines with such an engine?

And its shame how we only begin to consider alternatives when the proverbial starts to hit the fan.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #25 of 27
It is very unlikely that they will just replace the engines. There are a lot of problems caused by installing propfan engines. Increased noise (which would require shielding of some sort), and the unducted fans as shown in the pictures tend to be of large diameter which causes installation problems. Installation under wing as is currently the trend would therefore be useless with these engines.

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! And Clutz shouldn't be joking--it's been proven; heavy drinking kills weaker, and therefore poorer-performing, brain cells, thereby increasing the percent of high-performance brain cells in use. It's the brains own form of natural selection.

Now go; make yourself smarter.

It's a good concept, but not when you bring your count to near extinction. Trust me, it's a scary place.

What I don't get is how you need massive extensive degrees just to impose basic simple logic. Not attacking TestSpecimen, there's no doubt he's got a head over his shoulders.

BTW TestSpecimen stay away from duel roters, just extend its depth, enclose, carve a flow into its enclosure like a rifle barrel, slightly taper the exhaust, and use tip Magnetic motor. Trust me try it, simple basic logic.

One of the greatest pieces of engineering today. USE IT FOR FUDGE SAKES!!
http://www.tmdfan.com/

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_Carter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I don't get is how you need massive extensive degrees just to impose basic simple logic.

I'm a little confused by this statement. Are you refering to my degree? If that is the case, I assure you that a lot more is needed than common sense or basic logic. Not only that, but the reason you need the degree is that its a requirement to become a chartered engineer (CEng).

I may have misunderstood what you said, but if you could clarify that would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back