Wooooboy. Kenwood sure has hiss..
Feb 22, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #31 of 72
yeah, but i think he meant more like simple reference. he has at disposal dac1, grace design m902, i don't think the portable cd player by sony is a true reference. in any case, reference as you can tell my grace and dac1 also have more interference in the signal than do the ipod.

reference does not mean amazing, it just means that is what you are used to and have used and by that you judge others. that is why his reference showed poorly compared to many of the other sources.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by En_R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My piano teacher (48) could not hear it either (the hiss).

Like I said Kevin

It takes good ears ^_^

LOL, because of your comment I decided to do a frequency hearing test online and I couldn't hear anything past 16khz! I'm only 24 too. Not sure how I feel about that but after hearing 16khz I don't think I want to ever again it made me feel strange.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, because of your comment I decided to do a frequency hearing test online and I couldn't hear anything past 16khz! I'm only 24 too. Not sure how I feel about that but after hearing 16khz I don't think I want to ever again it made me feel strange.

Ooo.. Be careful with those..

mine is 20. something ...

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just guessing here, but sometimes the computer equipment isn't capable of those frequencies ie. the soundcard or speakers used. Try again with portable through headphones?

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #35 of 72
I am interested in the Kenwood 60Gb, but I wonder about the hiss which disappears after a certain period of use, according to some witnesses.
The fact that the kenwood has 2 audio chips including one in the preamp, would it not simply the "heating" time giving this hissing problem???

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank God, I just got my HD60GD9EC today. I got this for $565+shipped so I thought I got a good bargain but I still need to check it out if it's worth it.

woooh,man,where did you get that good price?

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #40 of 72
Or Triple.fi, Super.fi, ER4P, d-JAYS, Westone UM2, UE10, UE11 and so on....
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #41 of 72
Yes, they do have quite a lot hiss especially for the old one such as A7, but for D9 you really should not hear much hiss.

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or Triple.fi, Super.fi, ER4P, d-JAYS, Westone UM2, UE10, UE11 and so on....
wink.gif

I know, that's why I took the cheaper for the example.
tongue.gif

No need an expensive one to notice the hiss.^^

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #43 of 72
I just picked up a used but excellent condition HD30GB9 for cheap here in Tokyo. I picked one up because I dropped my Cowon X5L on concrete and its FUBAR. Yes I hear this so called hiss with both the Creative e630 and my Super.fi 5 Pros but you really can't hear it anymore once you crank it up 6-7+ which then reaches just under low listening levels. I use it while on the go, in my room I'm using my Go-vibe petite. When on the move I doubt anyone would notice the hiss.

I'm also impressed with this unit's SQ, the Kenwood hoses the X5L in every category except hiss, where the X5L performs exceptionally well. I also tried out the Cowon D2 and thought it was crap compared to both the X5 and the Kenwood.

Cheers,

Donny

Apr 6, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #45 of 72
I HATE the hd60gd9ec.

I've been using it since December and the hiss is intolerable. I have a pair of ue-11's which I can't plug in at all because the hiss hurts my ears. They've been sitting in a drawer gathering dust now, I used them with my Cowon X5 and they sounded perfect.

I'm using the player with Grado's but I'm still annoyed by the crappy media application, id-tag screw-ups and somtimes it won't recognize random songs. With a couple of my ripped albums all tracks will play except one. Other albums don't even show up although they're mp3's.

There's also the lack of custom skins, inability to create playlists and a lack of bookmarking (Really sucks for audiobooks).

Thinking of selling it but I have no idea which other player to buy, I wish Cowon would upgrade the X5 already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back