Wooooboy. Kenwood sure has hiss..
Feb 21, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 72
cool plots

anything less than 0.03% at 1 kHz for THD+N is reasonably good. The Kenwood is 0.26670%!!!! Most of al harmonic components are high frequencies!

I also see the Ipod Touch has less than 0.03%

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it has the high pitch hiss, with white noise spaced evenly across the center. SupremeEX rids of the "dirty" and high frequency hiss, and replaces it with a more subtle hiss. The problem is that you can't use EQ with it
frown.gif

What I noticed is that my almost a year old HD30GB9 has a toned down hiss, much more than a brand new one. Maybe it has something to do with age?

EXACTLY

The hiss is toned down after about 20 minutes of use
+ the high freq disappears.

so im guessing it'll go away completely within the next 5 years? maybe if i bang it abit .. . hmm..

Oh btw people - the kenwood is still the best DAP I have EVER heard in terms of SQ. . . once that annoying pitch goes away.
and the list includes.. :
trekstor vibez
sony a818
cowon xl5/d2/i7
all the ipods (except for 1st gen lol)
Creative Zen + zen vision: M

Have yet to compare it with iriver players though (even though vibez is technically an upgraded karma...)

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can see here that it is by far the player with most measured distortion

Doesn't that chart measures signal- to - noise ratio for a 1khz wave?

As you can see, the kenwood is closest SONY CD WALKMAN D-NE920, which the author states himself is the "reference"

Touché~

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #19 of 72
I'm not sure how the measurement was done, and I won't refute the fact that it may sound a little distorted compared to the iMod, but I believe the testing was done incorrectly. On the Kenwood, 30/30 is not optimal, it heavily distorts and clip the sound, especially around the mid-range. When I use it with an amp, I set it at max 22/30.

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by En_R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh. NO

The high freq pitch is coming from the headphone out ..

lol - the hard drive doesn't affect signal path,

Hehe, thats funny. Are you being sarcastic?

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 72
perhaps i read incorrectly but i missed where he says the 920 is the reference. also, how did you read he set volume at 30? was i drunk when i posted this? even now i am not seeing this, sorry!

even if it is set at 30 - i would assume the others are set to their max - why is this one only showing such distortion? i am sure it sounds fine, i have used portables with the same amp as the kenwood and they were quite good. they also had problems with headphone - mostly however hiss from one side or strange sound without a good eq.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #22 of 72
I'm not sure myself what the volume was set to, I just assumed it because on the iPod and the majority of the other DAPs, you would set it to the highest setting like you said, to get analytical data from it.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps i read incorrectly but i missed where he says the 920 is the reference.

単に参考であります。

hmm.. i dunno what he means by 参考 here as it could be the verb form instead of a noun ...

My japanese is VERY rusty though. If I'm wrong then sorry - -

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #24 of 72
I've had my HD30GB9 for around 10 months and I use it a lot. I only notice hiss if I turn the volume all the way down and even then I have to be in a silent room. This is with my Sennheiser HD25s and Atrio M5.

If I hook my Stax SR-001 to the Kenwood DAP I can't hear any hiss at all so I have to assume that the SR-001 amplifier kills it. This combination is a little too warm for me though.

I've never noticed any high pitched noise though. I have an iPhone which I often compare the HD30GB9 to and the kenwood sounds quite a bit better with most my headphones.

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #25 of 72
Thank God, I just got my HD60GD9EC today. I got this for $565+shipped so I thought I got a good bargain but I still need to check it out if it's worth it.

After an hour of playing the unit with my SE530 I did not hear any high freq pitch noise En_R talked about whatsoever. I do hear some hissing at real low volume listening to a quiet song but I didn't think that was significant enough to be annoyance. At a moderate volume, I am not hearing it.
I still need to check out more to determine the true SQ.

I think Kenwood Media Application is just horrible. It's slow and screw up the GENRE (MP3/WMA tag) after the transfer on some of files but it only let you correct the tag one by one...Can you image doing this for hundreds? Luckily, I found the MP3/WMA tagging software which was comapatible with HD60GD9EC, so I was to able to correct the tags in mass.

I am not fidning "Random" play mode with this unit. That could be a big no no for me..

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrScary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank god I didn't buy the kenwoods.. It looked nice all of them well most. I will stay with my Cowon D2 and Sony A818

Yea, I can't hear any hiss in my D2 either.

This is an outrage on the Kenwood players though.

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think Kenwood Media Application is just horrible. It's slow and screw up the GENRE (MP3/WMA tag) after the transfer on some of files but it only let you correct the tag one by one...Can you image doing this for hundreds? Luckily, I found the MP3/WMA tagging software which was comapatible with HD60GD9EC, so I was to able to correct the tags in mass.

ALWAYS organize your tags before putting it on the kenwood..

I learned this the hard way -.-""

My piano teacher (48) could not hear it either (the hiss).

Like I said Kevin

It takes good ears ^_^

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #28 of 72
My files are all tagged nicely. The same exact files transferred to ZEN caused no problem but not on Kenwood device.
frown.gif

Er_R, DO you know the best way to play all songs in Random mode?

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #29 of 72
Lol. Yeah

setup>playmode> rand. all

or when a song is playing (make sure you are at the play screen)

press the "power" button

and choose playmode> rand.all from there.
smily_headphones1.gif

ahh - and if you only want to randomize a playlist/album/artist play the song from there and choose "rand. folder"

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #30 of 72
I own the HD30GB9 and use it with a pair of Shure E4 IEMs. I have only recently noticed the high frequency noise which is superimposed on the background hiss. It's only audible with the volume set from 1 to 6. Beyond that, I believe it is masked by the music.

As the OP mentioned, it is not a constant noise. Turning the player off and on often resolves the high pitched noise but it does, eventually, return. The sound is definitely at the upper end of the frequency range. This may possibly explain why certain people cannot hear it.

El Duderino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back