Woody Grado 225 Pictures
Sep 7, 2004 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mneuwiueyagaobcf

100+ Head-Fier
I just received these in the post today. Thanks Larry!

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 17
looks nice.
biggrin.gif
I'm sure you have listened to them by now (if not, what are you doing wasting time posting at Head-Fi when you can be listening to them.
smily_headphones1.gif
) so how did the sound change after the mod? have you heard the RS1 or RS2, and if you did, how does it compare to those?

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
looks nice.
biggrin.gif
I'm sure you have listened to them by now (if not, what are you doing wasting time posting at Head-Fi when you can be listening to them.
smily_headphones1.gif
) so how did the sound change after the mod? have you heard the RS1 or RS2, and if you did, how does it compare to those?

Hi 8999

This is the first ever grado I have listened to. So i'm unable to compare to other grados.

One thing is sure though, Flats are a must! Switching from flats to bowls and I wonder where the bass went.

My previous phones were HD650 with zu. Compared to that combo it is a very different flavour. Much faster, more exciting for rock. I prefer the grado signature however it is not a definite upgrade from the sennheiser combo, it is more of a side step. I prefer the looks and comfort of the grados.

rs1smile.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mneuwiueyagaobcf
Hi 8999

you mean ayt999... those are my initials in front of all those nines.
smily_headphones1.gif

so I take it you went straight for the mod and haven't heard the SR225 in stock form? I guess I'll have to wait until someone else can give better opinions on them. did Xanadu777 do a review on them himself? I don't think I remember seeing one though.

I sort of want a wooden grado for comparison and this seems like a reasonably priced method of getting one, thus I'm wondering how they sound.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 17
hey there (insert random letters) those are some very nice looking SR225's
smily_headphones1.gif
just wondering along with ayt999 if you have had a listen to these cans stock? and also wondering how the weight compairs between the modded and the origonal.

cheers
-jake

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 17
hey stu man: just wondering whether you had thought about the sound leakage in/out of the grados as there is nothing between the driver itself and the outside world... bepending on the busyness of the dorm that could become a real hastle.

cheers
-jake

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker
hey stu man: just wondering whether you had thought about the sound leakage in/out of the grados as there is nothing between the driver itself and the outside world... bepending on the busyness of the dorm that could become a real hastle.

I would be a pedant and say that there is a round plastic (or aluminum or wood) chamber, plastic (or steel mesh) and a button....
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

As for the dormitories, Grados aren't suitable unless you have a roomate who uses headphones too.

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 17
price of the mod?

and how does it sound??
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
As for the dormitories, Grados aren't suitable unless you have a roomate who uses headphones too.

Revenge: Even then if he had a pair of grados (or any other really open cans) i think that would still pose a problem
tongue.gif
touche

cheers
-jake

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker
Revenge: Even then if he had a pair of grados (or any other really open cans) i think that would still pose a problem
tongue.gif
touche

cheers
-jake

LOL. That's true. That's why you have to persuade your roomate to buy some canalphones....
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 17
jacopo said:
price of the mod?

and how does it sound??
wink.gif
[/QUOTE

Hi Jacopo

I paid $265 for the recable and the mod.
I cannot compare the sound to the stock 225s as these are the first grados i've ever listened to. However according to Larry (Xanadu777) the recable provides the sonic improvement and it is unclear as to whether the wood does anything to the sound although the wood sure looks nice.

Leakage is comparable to the sennheiser HD650. You can tell what song is playing when someone else is wearing the headphones.

Ayt999 - sorry, I thought ayt=8
plainface.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mneuwiueyagaobcf
I paid $265 for the recable and the mod.
plainface.gif

Hey mate, thanks for the promt reply
smily_headphones1.gif

just wondering what your thorts are on the build quality of the mod over all... and am particularly interested in the cabling where it enters the headphone eg. is the cabling running to the solder replaced or is it simply the external cabling that is changed? and how does the cable feel e.g. does the connection feel as strong as the origonal and does it have the stiffness that some custon cables give the cord. Sorry for all the questions but u got me interested
biggrin.gif

cheers
-jake

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 17
Jake,

The finish is very professional. It looks handmade but in a good way if you know what I mean........

The cable is a complete replacement external/internal and all. The outer is a cloth like fabric and extremely flexible (you could easily use it as a shoelace). Again, I cannot compare to the stock cable as I didn't ever see the stock headphones.

Sep 7, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 17
thanks again (im a very thanking mood 2nite
smily_headphones1.gif
)

hope you dont mind me asking but what was it that made you decide to get the cheaper model + mods instead of forking out for a higher model grado or perhaps an alessandro?

cheers again
-jake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back