Woody for 325i recabled with black dragon and zebrawood cups for leathers pads (PICTURES!)
Feb 2, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I am currently looking at my cans and I feel like making a wood modification for the outer shell of my 325i. I have worked with wood a few times with good results. This is a crazy project, considering the phones are worth around 400$ when you get them via Moon-audio but still I am ready for it!

I currently enjoy these cans but I feel a woody version in cocobolo for the shells would look and sound awesome! Oh yeah and it would look even better paired with my zebra adapters for Beyer leather pads! I want to keep the stock grills! Hopefully I won't mess up things and it will turn out good. :p

I have bought a 4x4x12" piece of cocobolo, danish oil and a lot of sand paper from 100 to 600. I plan making those with my press drill as opposed to my previous work with router.

I noticed a lot of hot glue holding the shells...that's going to be a pain to remove, I believe Drew from Moonaudio added enough to make sure it would never disassemble. If you guys have anything to point out before I take the jump reply!
smily_headphones1.gif

I will post updates, here is a few pictures of my previous work, the wood, tools I plan to use.

cocobolo1.jpg

tools.jpg

inpieces.jpg

cap.jpg

grain-1.jpg

out.jpg

in-out.jpg

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 4
There we go, cracked open! I just took a paint mixer wood stick, used my dremel and made the perfect tool to take the cups apart! Went like a breeze, the wood is softer than the plastic.. and the metal obviously so no damage possible. I was scared concerning the hair dryer technique. More to follow!

paintstick1.jpg

paintstick.jpg

crackedopened.jpg

cleanedoff.jpg

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 4
Wow, that looks awesome man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back