Woody care
Jun 19, 2007 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got a dream set o' cans--the ATH-W2002!

Anyone have any care tips so I can keep the leather and lacquered wood in good condition?

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 7
I'll start!

Keep them away from termite mounds.

icon10.gif

Seriously though, I currently own 2 pairs of woodies, RS-1s and GS-1000s, and I have owned a few other woodies in the past. I take care of woodies and non-woodies in the same fashion, woodies don't get any special treatment, and they seem to do just fine.

For leather headbands, I (sparingly) use a leather conditioner/cleaner from time to time. For leather or 'pleather' earpads, I wipe the skin oils / sweat off with a clean soft cloth at the end of each listening session. As for woodies, the wood cups are already treated, finished, protected and lacquered. Just be careful to not put any dings in them, and wipe them with a clean, microfiber soft cloth to remove any fingerprints from the shiny lacquered finish.

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. My ears do tend to get sweaty, as I'm one of those people who gets pretty animated while listening to my cans--ie, I bounce along like I'm having a seizure.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 7
This thread fails to deliver.
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, though, it's best to keep your wood in a cool and dry place. Too much moisture or swings in temperature will be bad for your cans. I would stay away from oils or chemicals... you never know how the various lacquers and woods are going to react. Ditto to lmilhan on microfiber or soft cotton cloth. The oil from your hands, etc. should be harmless, but you'll want to keep the pads nice for anyone else who's wearing them.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 7
As long as you keep your woody away from electrical sockets, animals and things of the like you should be good.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread fails to deliver.
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, though, it's best to keep your wood in a cool and dry place.

biggrin.gif
I Need to grow up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back