Woods for headphones
Jul 27, 2003 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MaxHeifetz

Head-Fier
I was just wondering if headphone makers should use spruce and maple in the production of their top of the line headphones instead of what they already use. These woods are used in the production of violins, violas, cellos, and other string instruments! What could be better for damping and vibration?

Jul 27, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 5
the AT W1000's sound fine to me. however, such large closed phones of these types colour the sound inevitably in a certain way that some like and some do not. using wood with the audio technicas is claimed to have great effects as the headphone ages. i don't know about the above claim, but it is a known fact that certain wooden instruments only sound better and better as they age. i can honestly say that the wooden audio technica W1000 that i have have changed drastically for the better throughout the last couple of months that i've owned them. the sound is more full and rich with less harshness in the highs!

PS just a bit of advice for you about the W1000's, if you happen to ever get a pair, a portable cd player does not do them any justice...they simply sound too thin. definitely use a stand alone cd player paired with a powerful amplifier of any kind, then you will know what bliss is
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2003 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by princeclassic
"What could be better for damping and vibration?"

medium density fiberboard would probably be best

Yes. Particle board. I don't know why the headphone manufacturers have not experimented with this approach. Particle board is often recommended for turntable plinths, where lack of vibration is of paramount importance. Could it be that it would be difficult to justify a $1000 list price for particle board headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back