Wooden wonders
Dec 25, 2008 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davtse

100+ Head-Fier
I recently had the opportunity to test the pre-production unit of the crossroads woodies, thanks to the good grace of uncle wilson.
Woody.jpg

credits to lionplushie for the photo

one of the lucky few to be able to do so, i must say i was sorely disappointed listening to it immediately out of the box. congested and lacking in soundstage, it definitely did not follow the crossroads tradition of being value for money.
"give it a chance" i was told. and so, give it a chance i did.
utterly disappointed at my first audition, i decided to run it in with pink noise, and see if there would be a difference with the loosening of the dynamic drivers.

4 hours into the running-in process, i decided to give it a second listen, and was subsequently pleasantly suprised. no longer congested and in your face, it was certainly a much easier and pleasant experience listening to it, though the highs still harsh, the bass not fully formed, yet it had this addictive, feet thumping quality to the way it presented the music as a whole.
intrigued by it's improvement over the short span of only 4 hours, i was curious as to how much more it would improve with running in.

leaving it to run in overnight for another 10 hours before attempting another listening to, i was again taken aback by the world of difference compared to at the 4th hour. not as drastic as the first segment of the running in, but nethertheless, still a substantial improvement. the highs smoothening out nicely, the bass hitting much lower and gaining more detail, the mids ever so slightly forward, yet not bleeding into the bass.
what really captivated me was the way the bass was reproduced, being able to feel the bass rather than just listen to it, this IEM's forte is certainly the way it is able to deliver rich, impactful and stunning bass.

as the burning in process continues, the most noticeable differences were the smoothening of the highs, the deepening of the bass, as well as the bass detailing. now, at only hour 60 and counting, the highs have smoothened out very nicely, and the bass is nice and deep. i am duly impressed. a very natural reproduction of music, imo. listening to Sara.K's guitar strumming leaves me in tingles.

i must say that these hold alot of potential, especially with burning in, and are lent a touch of elegance, thanks to the dark wooden housing. value for money? to me, certainly. crossroads has outdone themselves again.

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Those units sure look sharp. davtse, if you can get in touch w/ Uncle Wilson please let him know I want to buy one of his amp/dap sacs but I can not do so. If he could contact me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those units sure look sharp. davtse, if you can get in touch w/ Uncle Wilson please let him know I want to buy one of his amp/dap sacs but I can not do so. If he could contact me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

sure, i'll let him know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like an interesting IEM.

I wonder how much it will cost.

from what i heard, very affordable.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks davtse, I have tried to reach Uncle Wilson but I have not been succesful.

hey mrarroyo,

i brought up the matter with uncle wilson, and he asked me to direct you to this page. he also sends his regards.
Jaben Online Store

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by davtse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey mrarroyo,

i brought up the matter with uncle wilson, and he asked me to direct you to this page. he also sends his regards.
Jaben Online Store

I have been to that page, I have a question on size of amp/dap that will fit. That is why I have sent him a couple of emails. Will try one more time. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back