Wooden Pencil-Fi (and other accessories)
Nov 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, so we have a mechanical pencil thread, and the winner there seems to be the Rotring 600. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to get that all the way here in NZ.
frown.gif
Shipping would probably cost much more than the pencil itself. Anyway, I was wondering what wooden pencils you've used and recommend.

I'm personally hooked on the Faber Castell 9000s. I've heard the California Republic Palominos are great too (though aren't these colouring pencils?). How do the Golden Bear fare?

And what about erasers? The Staedtler Mars Plastic seems to be the way to go, right?

And pencil sharpeners? The one that comes with the Faber Castell Perfect Pencil is a disappointment, sadly.

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 17
There's only one: Mirado Black Warrior. The one difficulty I have with them is that they seem to be a little softer than indicated.

I've always liked Art Gum erasers but I have the nasty habit of pulling them apart so I generally just use the old Pink Pearl.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's only one: Mirado Black Warrior. The one difficulty I have with them is that they seem to be a little softer than indicated.

I've always liked Art Gum erasers but I have the nasty habit of pulling them apart so I generally just use the old Pink Pearl.

Actually, my favorite too.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For writing or drawing?

both, although the only thing I draw are technical sketches. Its a great cheap stylish looking wooden pencil.

I think pencil talk is a bit of a dry conversation though. Any draft or artists shop will have you covered on your pencils. Erasers now, that's another issue.
normal_smile .gif

You should buy some and try them if your really interested, its only like $2.00 at the nearest grocery/drug/dollar store/walmart.

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 17
Black Beryl Beauty #1. Stephen King's choice for his characters.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 17
I just received the following pencils in the mail:

California Republic Palomino
Dixon Ticonderoga (Soft)
Musgrave HB
Forest Choice #2

Of the lot, I like the Dixon the best. The Musgrave comes close. It writes smoothly and is just dark enough. The Palominos were a bit too dark for writing, and the Forest Choice was almost too smooth for writing!

Now, I think my FB 2001 write badly, though they're still my favourite to hold. Dang. Furthermore, the 9000s now just seem mediocre on all counts.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what about erasers? The Staedtler Mars Plastic seems to be the way to go, right?

I'm more of a mechanical pencil fan than wood, but for erasers I like the Pentel Hi-Polymer® Eraser. I think it must be similar to that Staedtler. Also like the retractable Pentel Clic Eraser Grip ZE22

(I'm also a fan of Pentel for mechanical pencils and leads.)

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 17
Ticonderoga and Koh-i-Noor are my favorite brands for wooden pencils. Don't use them very often nowadays but they get use every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back