wooden cups measurements for Grado headphones?
May 25, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a caliper and just go from there

x2

Specifically with the HF-1s I've found some variation between the driver housing size. Assuming that it was uniform originally led to a couple of pieces fitting way to tightly for comfort.

May 26, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 9
I used the measurements I took from the plastic cups and the ones on the Headwize page to start, and then adjusted as I went. I've done a few of these now, and I can't stress the following enough... It's always easier to take of a little more material with some light sanding, but it's very difficult to put material back on
wink.gif
. If you take too much off doing the rough work, the cups won't fit well and you'll be disappointed. If you're using a lathe, check the OD of the cups constantly while turning and sanding the blank.

The only other tips I can offer is if you're using a lathe, do as much of the sanding on the outside of the cups as you can while it's still on the lathe. It'll save you a ton of work later. And again, if using a lathe, try to turn the outside bevels you want on the lathe, and use a parting tool to cut through most of the material when you're ready to separate the cups. It makes it much easier, and you end up with nice square ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back