Wood speakers, JVC EX-A1
Sep 8, 2006 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

VR6ofpain

Headphoneus Supremus
speaker.jpg

So I picked up this 'compact component system' off ebay with wood cone speakers. It is the JVC EX-A1. I thought the MSRP of $550 for this system was completely ridiculous, but a used one off eBay for $150 seemed more than reasonable (considering another one ended a few days later for $330).

The speakers are very interesting. They are a product of JVC engineers.
exa1.jpg

exa1_btm.jpg

This system uses a single 3-3/16th driver in a nice cherry wood enclosure. I am surprised by the sound to be honest. Not the highest fidelity, but they sound more than adequet for internet radio...if fact very good. With the powered sub I have, they fill my bedroom with some great sound. The system seems to really like jazz at medium/low volumes.

I am really happy with this purchase. Oh and this is my first digital amp. Sounds just fine to me, with more than enough 'umph' considering it is only 15watts per channel I believe. I find the whole sake thing funny.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 13
I remember reading about this when it was first released. I haven't clicked on the sake link yet, but from memory it sake was related to curing the problem of the driver splitting wasn't it?

I wonder how robust they are now. What do you reckon?

EDIT: And you forgot to mention, it looks damn cool!

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
cool... I remember reading about those ~6 months ago.

So did I, well a while ago at least. But as I said, $550 was ridiculous. $150 is good.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst
How do these compare to the Insignia speakers from Best Buy and a cheap receiver?

Well this system is much more compact and actually looks nice. It also includes a DVD/CD player with an optical digital out (not factored in on your above system).

Now as far as sound I have never heard those speakers, so I don't know...

Sep 8, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 13
They sound very bright and thin from my several auditions. They are quite eye catching, though. The sound can be adjusted via tone controls, but the midrange remains thin.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #10 of 13
My father has one of these at the library on our house. It has a great sound for a 500$ system and reaches high volumes of sound in a small room(18ft X 15ft). With jazz and blues it sings very well. Highs don't have harshness at all, but it is not the most detailed I've heard as well. Midrange is very balanced. The low frequencies are tight and controlled. I actually like the bass better comparing to my father's main rig(meridien 506, sonic frontiers integrated tube amp, moulidine speakers).

The headphone out is also very good, considering it is not a ddedicated headphone amplifier.
The capability of reading DVD's and having a SCART output, makes it also ideal for small appartments as a all-in-one speaker/TV system.

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 13
51.jpg

48.jpg

These little speakers are so neutral it is great. Excellent jazz system. Listening to some Freddie Hubbard right now and really enjoying my coffee.

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 13
For small cones the enclosure goes back pretty far!

Looks really nice, and as an added benifit you can't poke and dent the center part of the cone. More speakers should be made like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back