wood sided enclosures?
Dec 18, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #16 of 21
I like the minwax finishes. They stain and protect the wood.I sound like a commercial.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also like to add that Lacquer in a spray can is a beautiful and easy finish alternative, as well as being less maintenance prone as oill or wax finishes. It's also quite durable.

I'll second that advice, I've had very good luck with spray lacquer and it's much easier and quicker than conventional finishes.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 21
Good tip guys re: the lacquer. I've failed miserably in the past w/some finishing work. The wood came out looking like a pumpkin.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #19 of 21
Applying lacquer with a brush can be a disaster waiting to happen. Then you have to try and sand it off. That just makes everything look worse. I suppose that is why I like minwax. It is mostly a stain so it isn't too bad to apply.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 21
You're better off using a spray lacquer as others have suggested.

If you can find raw (dry) shellac, it's my favorite for personal projects. It's *very* forgiving and shares the clarity of lacquer (unlike polyurethane). It's also non-toxic. I recommend applying it with a pad, as described here:
PADDING SHELLAC

Unfortunately, pre-mixed (wet) shellac is useless. It's a natural product and it starts to degrade as soon as it leaves the factory. When the can gets to you premixed it takes forever to dry and is just generally awful to use. Though the canned stuff isn't bad as a sanding sealer, but often the canned stuff is not dewaxed so it can cause problems later.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #21 of 21
Agreed, dry Shellac flakes can be mixed with denatured alcohol (usually 3 parts alcohol to 1 part flakes). Shellac is the secretion of the Lac beetle, and is one of the oldest finishes for wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back