Wood Matters.
Aug 20, 2007 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Aug 20, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 11
There's a series on DIY that's called something like Handmade Music. One set was about a luthier building an acoustic. Simply fascinating stuff and amazing craftsmanship. I've done a fair amount of work on electrics but acoustics are a whole different world. But either way - wood is absolutely key.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 11
There's a big difference between a driver in enclosure and a string vibrating over a sounding board. It is simply not the same thing, and the wood used in a headphone won't affect the sound the same way the wood used in a guitar or violin will.

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 11
I've spent a fair bit of time in the past making wooden instruments, specifically flutes and uileann pipes (google it!). Not only does species of wood matter, but also where it grew, how it was managed, how it was cut and so on. theres a world of difference between say, French boxwood and castello box from Spain. Or real ebony as opposed to macassar ebony from the phillipines. Or indian rosewood..... I could go on, but won't!!

I hold my hand up and say "I believe".

Fran

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...665726&sc=emaf

Dunno if this holds for wood in headphones, but for wood in musical instruments, i'm all on board already.

For guitars, you want wood that resonates, for headphones and speakers, you want wood that is inert.

If wood used in headphones or speakers resonates, you get terrible coloration at those resonant frequencies. So the goal for guitars is the opposite from speakers or headphones. Anybody who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For guitars, you want wood that resonates, for headphones and speakers, you want wood that is inert.

If wood used in headphones or speakers resonates, you get terrible coloration at those resonant frequencies. So the goal for guitars is the opposite from speakers or headphones. Anybody who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'm totally with you, but many think those terrible colorations at those resonant frequencies are wonderful sounding.

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm totally with you, but many think those terrible colorations at those resonant frequencies are wonderful sounding.

In a guitar, yes.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a series on DIY that's called something like Handmade Music. One set was about a luthier building an acoustic. Simply fascinating stuff and amazing craftsmanship. I've done a fair amount of work on electrics but acoustics are a whole different world. But either way - wood is absolutely key.

Yeah that's Lynn Dudenbostel. He's an incredible craftsman, and one of the best Luthiers in the country. That's a very good series. He builds a pre-war Martin replica complete with the increasingly difficult to find, but oh so nice Red Spruce top. If you tap on a chunk it rings like a bell.

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that's Lynn Dudenbostel. He's an incredible craftsman, and one of the best Luthiers in the country. That's a very good series. He builds a pre-war Martin replica complete with the increasingly difficult to find, but oh so nice Red Spruce top. If you tap on a chunk it rings like a bell.

lol, we cut about 20 or so red spruce trees out of our yard in our former house. Should have sold them to a mill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back