Wood headphones?
Feb 27, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how Larry does it, but the difference between stock HF-1s and woodied HF-1s is dramatic. No placebo. The wood takes them to the RS-1 level.

Why not just buy an RS1 then. Isn't it cheaper after the mods.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #17 of 31
To me it seems to be mainly an esthetic improvement. But if that is what the owner wants its fine by me. Some of the woodwork I have seen on “woodied” versions is outstanding, in term of the craftsmanship and make for real show pieces.. While I’m sure having the “woodie” treatment done to headphone changes the sound, I’m not convinced it makes them better, only different sounding. This observation is based on listening to “woodied” headphones at meets. Personally, I agree with the original poster and think that the thousands of dollars spent on R&D and tuning a particular headphone are “for not” when headphones are modd-ed to this degree.

- augustwest

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rs1smile.gif

Because stock RS1 just aren't done. You'd have to have them rewoodied before they really shine.....
Or better still: have them double woodied.
Anybody know what double woodied RS1 sound like?
icon10.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The same question can be asked of people who like the sound of Grados better when their hands are covering the air chambers. Every time I read someone's post that makes that claim, I die a little inside.

Ugh, I've tried it...it's not good.
plainface.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because stock RS1 just aren't done. You'd have to have them rewoodied before they really shine.....
Or better still: have them double woodied.
Anybody know what double woodied RS1 sound like?
icon10.gif

Hmm i wonder what ebony wood RS1s would sound and look like....

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, I've tried it...it's not good.
plainface.gif

well because the reflective surface is now...skin.
redface.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #22 of 31
Does Larry tweak the drivers of any of the "Headphiled" phones besides the new Darth Beyers?

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well because the reflective surface is now...skin.
redface.gif

Does Headphile do 'Skinnied' Grados, by chance?
rs1smile.gif

Edit: Someone should make a Grado frowny with hands over the drivers.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe most of the improvement is due to the cable?

I think cable improvements are more controversial around here than woodies.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rs1smile.gif

It doesn't sound the same, just on a par. It would be a matter of personal preference. They do use different drivers, after all.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I know I haven't been on head-fi much lately, but this trend seems silly to me.

I mean wouldn't it totally ruin the sound if you took an open-air headphonee and put CLOSED wooden panels on them?

Here is my take:

1. Wood looks good, sexy, and classy (Expensive).
2. Some woods have better resonance (Sounds) than other materials.
3. It's total crapshoot when an Open headphone is Closed with wooden panels. Some might find the changes in sound a good fit for his/her own taste.

However, personally, I haven't found any Open phones sound better when closed... regardless of the type of material used for the panels.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I know I haven't been on head-fi much lately, but this trend seems silly to me.

I mean wouldn't it totally ruin the sound if you took an open-air headphonee and put CLOSED wooden panels on them?

Of course it would ruin the sound. You've just screwed up the whole design. But it looks good. Isn't that what matters most?

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I see his point very clearly, and it makes a lot of sense, so if you aren't going to post a constructive reply, don't even bother replying.

I personally think saying other people prefer the sonic signature is completely valid, no?

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #29 of 31
I own the woody upgrade for my 580s and can say that i love them dearly. Its not just the looks. You can read my thoughts on them if you click on my sig there. I really enjoy a certain sound. In my opinion the woody take the airy flabby bass and creates a nice tighter tone. It also brings everything more up front, which is nice for music. It also changes the soundstage a bit, however to my ears its a good change. Its smaller, theres no doubt there. I really enjoy them over the stock grilles.

You know, ill prob end up doing the woody upgrades on my MS1's...just to see how it changes the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back