Wood headphones?
Feb 27, 2007 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Okay, I know I haven't been on head-fi much lately, but this trend seems silly to me.

I mean wouldn't it totally ruin the sound if you took an open-air headphonee and put CLOSED wooden panels on them?

A lot of research goes into the acoustics of headphones, and it takes sophisticated test equipment to design headphones properly. It just doesn't seem wise to slap on some wood panels for cosmetic improvements and then claim it improves the sound.

Am I way off here?

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I know I haven't been on head-fi much lately, but this trend seems silly to me.

I mean wouldn't it totally ruin the sound if you took an open-air headphonee and put CLOSED wooden panels on them?

A lot of research goes into the acoustics of headphones, and it takes sophisticated test equipment to design headphones properly. It just doesn't seem wise to slap on some wood panels for cosmetic improvements and then claim it improves the sound.

Am I way off here?

No. But what is your point?

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 31
Well, perhaps you prefer the sound that way. Why do you care what someones sonic preference is?

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 31
Guys, I see his point very clearly, and it makes a lot of sense, so if you aren't going to post a constructive reply, don't even bother replying.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 31
I think he's trying to figure out as to why people do woodie mods to headphones, when they come from the factory from extensive testing and R&D.
The answer is simple, many headphones are given a budget, and need to be kept on mass production requirements. Placing wood on headphones is expensive, so R&D, must find other materials that have a similar sound. From there it's up to the user on what to do with his or her headphones, many enjoy the sound of wood to plastic due to it's resonance and woody looking goodness.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I see his point very clearly, and it makes a lot of sense, so if you aren't going to post a constructive reply, don't even bother replying.

I don't know of an example of open phones turned into closed woodies (some experiments aside, like deep HD650 woodies, that nobody really propagate). Do you?
So, my reply was meant like: What phones are you talking about?????

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. But what is your point?

I'm guessing he's referring to the headphile HD650 woodies, right? And possibly other frankenphones, such as possibly the k1k drivers in the CD3k housing?

Yes, it can change the sound.
Yes, some people like it.
Yes, they look pretty.
Yes, for those reasons, they can be worth the money.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 31
Well, the actual "closed" woodies are not very popular, no, however, the grado mods at headphile. Other than using exotic wood, how does Larry actually "improve" the sound? I doubt that other than the cutting and finish, there isn't much acoustic research that goes into those mods.

Yeah, you say "people like it". Ok, that doesn't say much. It can EASILY be placebo.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you say "people like it". Ok, that doesn't say much. It can EASILY be placebo.

Well there is bragging rights sort of I mean how many other woodies of that headphone are there? Personalization aswell is something. There are plenty of placebos out there in the world of headphones, such as cables, grills, and what not that would most definitely come into level with wood modding your headphones. But in the end it all comes down to whether you like it, it's all good as long as you feel it was worth your extra money or time to do.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 31
The same question can be asked of people who like the sound of Grados better when their hands are covering the air chambers. Every time I read someone's post that makes that claim, I die a little inside.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 31
I just know that open-air transducers and closed-transducers were designed differently. Covering up an open-air transducer just seems like a bad idea.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The same question can be asked of people who like the sound of Grados better when their hands are covering the air chambers. Every time I read someone's post that makes that claim, I die a little inside.

Try reading those posts with your hands covering your eyes. They look better that way.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how Larry does it, but the difference between stock HF-1s and woodied HF-1s is dramatic. No placebo. The wood takes them to the RS-1 level.

Maybe most of the improvement is due to the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back