WooAudio6 arrived - first impressions
Jun 8, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting wovenhand. Is that the 5U4G in the shot (I know you mentioned earlier you were using it)? Any further impressions on the sound? Does that acoustical foam help more with the Senns or ATs?
wink.gif

Yep, that is a Sovtek 5U4G. Looking forward to trying the Mullard 5AR4.
Not any major changes in sound. The midrange is a bit smoother, but I'm still achin' for a little more low end.

The acoustical absorbers do absolute wonders for both cans! It extends & gives the lows incredible punch, increases the detail in midrange dramatically and extends the highs tenfold while also making them silky smooth.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #32 of 50
Woo(hoo) my Woo finally arrived today! That's the good news. The bad news is that the house that I bought and was supposed to move into today is a god awful mess (unbelievable that people could leave a home in such a condition).

So, doesn't look like I will be moving in until next Monday, and since I'm living out of a suitcase right now, I really won't be able to set things up until then.

Argghhhh!!!

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #33 of 50
Great news about the 6 too bad about the house. I have no idea why some people can have so little thought for others, well I do but not much to be done now. I used to manage some rentals and I have been appaiser of homes so I have seen too much.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #34 of 50
I got my Mullard 54R4 tube yesterday and first impressions are that it was a real steroid injection for the WA6. It made it faster and a bit more aggressive. I plugged in my new Zu IC's last week, so I haven't really gotten used to those yet, so it's hard to say what is doing what. The speed & aggression I felt only after the tube switch. I can only describe it as "POW!" I've also got a bit better separation and a slight slight boost in upper midrange, and if that is because of tube or cables, I have no idea.

Everything is sounding pretty sweet at the moment, I must say.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great to hear you finally got your amp, rlanger. Took quite a while didn't it? You ordered just a few days after me, right?

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to hear you finally got your amp, rlanger. Took quite a while didn't it? You ordered just a few days after me, right?

Yeah, but Jack was pretty good about answering my emails and keeping me informed as to the status, which made the wait a little bit easier.

It's when you don't know what's going on, and you get no word from the vendor that makes waiting really suck.

BTW, where did you get your Mullard and how much did you pay for it?

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #36 of 50
if impact and that "pow" effect is what you find compelling, you really should try a metal base gz34...it transmits incredible resolution and live energy in the inner detail with sizzling bass and clear high end...the downside, to me, is the seemingly smaller headroom or air around the top, something a gz32 has abundance of...as well as a beautiful mid-range bloom...

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if impact and that "pow" effect is what you find compelling, you really should try a metal base gz34...it transmits incredible resolution and live energy in the inner detail with sizzling bass and clear high end...the downside, to me, is the seemingly smaller headroom or air around the top, something a gz32 has abundance of...as well as a beautiful mid-range bloom...

To be honest, any more "pow" than this might actually be too much. I've been watching some GZ32 auctions on eBay but I think I'm gonna stick with this one a little while longer since I only just got it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #39 of 50
So, Wovenhand, how do you like the bass with your W5000's and the
Woo 6 now? Does it have more the the Gilmore Lite now?
I was heavily considering a Woo 6 for my W5000's, on Jack's
recommendation. Your bass comments scared me off though.
Did burn in help? The Mullard gave you "The Pow" , is any of that Pow
in the bass regions?

Thanks,
Ralphmoe

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphmoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, Wovenhand, how do you like the bass with your W5000's and the
Woo 6 now? Does it have more the the Gilmore Lite now?
I was heavily considering a Woo 6 for my W5000's, on Jack's
recommendation. Your bass comments scared me off though.
Did burn in help? The Mullard gave you "The Pow" , is any of that Pow
in the bass regions?

Thanks,
Ralphmoe

Hey Ralph

I'd definetely say it's better, though the W5000 doesn't provide enough clamping force for that sweeet sweet bass to be present. But it's definetely more than before. I'd say it's on par bass-wise with the GL now, but the 54R4 really made the WA6 excel and leave the GL behind.

Do you feel you have enough bass with the amp you're using now? My bass issues are strictly fit-related (which really annoys me).
I've almost started preffering the 650's to my W500's now since the amp and Zu IC's has lifted the top end of the 650's. I still miss detail in the 650's though..
After I'm done buying a few microphones I got lined up, the DT880 600ohm is next. ^^

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #41 of 50
I should have a 6 arriving today and will compare a standard Mullard (I forget the date but Blackburn) to a Philips metal base to a Mullard metal base GZ34 to a Mullard GZ32. I also have some triple getter 6DE7 RCA's and other varieties.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #42 of 50
look forward to your impressions on the WA-6, jamato...

from my experience, it sounds best after approx. 40 min. of tube warm up and
more generally, due to the caps, the bass does seem to become fuller after about 100 hrs. usage of the amp...i use the 701, senn 600 and the 650...

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #43 of 50
Congrats on your new toy!

I also have a'67 mullard gz32, a phillips metalbase gz34 and a early 60's mullard gz34 coming in within the next few weeks. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of them. I'm really pleased with this amp. First time in a while that I have absolutely no buyer's remorse.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #45 of 50
Received my WA6 on Monday, but haven't been home since. Just got a couple hours with it so far from burnt-in. Noticed I had to decrease the Lavry output below what I have with other amps as the WA6 runs 'hot' (w/5U4G). Will see how it goes over time, but certainly sucked in the HD650 soundstage left/right, but made it more Ultrasoney in coherency all around. It this point it is certainly a tubey bubble signature, with midrange emphasized over the ends of the spectrum, but maybe that will more balanced with more time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back