Wooaudio3 or RA-1 for RS-1???
Jun 5, 2006 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
I've done my research but I'm pretty torn over which amplifier I want. The RA-1 seems like the sensible choice since it synergises very well with RS-1s in a smaller package, but I'd also like the ability to tune the sound with tubes which is much cheaper than buying new amps every few months or so...

I'd like to ask some opinions from more experienced users here. Does the Wooaudio 3, including its tube rolling, have the potential to sound better than the RA-1??

Here are the list of music I listen to recently to give you some reference of my preference in music.
Carmen Consoli - Italian pop rock
Zero Assoluto - Italian rap/rock
Hotel Costes - A mix of house, jazz, reggae and rap. Mostly lounge music
Gotan Project - Similar to Hotel Costes, but more Argentinian sounding
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - No explanation needed
DJ Krush - Japanese DJ mix and rap and some bassy lounge music
Kayne West - American hiphop

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 7
I can say that I have had a blast with tube rolling in my WA3! I love the sound and have met with favorable results with both cheap and expensive NOS tubes. One good thing is that the 6922 tubes are used in many new products so if you end up spending too much on tubes you will be able to sell them easily. They are going to be harder to find in the future so I do not see NOS prices falling.

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
I'm aware that the WA3 is a superior amp over the RA-1, but my question is, does it have better synergy when mated with RS-1s?

The RA-1 has a tuby kind of sound with the RS-1 and great synergy. I love the RS-1 in OTL with tubes on my ASL, but the bass is stronger on the RA-1.

I'd get the RA-1 and a couple of rechargeable batteries. Amazing synergy.

If you have other phones, then try out the W3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back