WooAudio3+DT880 = Help!
Sep 20, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 23
polski,

I bought my Woo Audio 3 amp specifically for use with my DT-880 (2003). I've rolled the tubes to some smoother sounding Amperex input and Tung-Sol power tube, it was a positive step but not some huge difference. I really like my amp which is totally stock inside btw. My sources aren't anything to get excited about but my rig brings a huge smile
eggosmile.gif

Like others say, SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE.

Happy listening.

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Soundcard wise there is the Chaintech AV710, ESI Juli@ and Emu 1212m. Each being more expensive and arguably better than the last.

Already ahead of you but thanks. Read up on the sounds cards and the ESI Juli@
seems to be the one I like. Now just to find the money for it
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
polski,

I bought my Woo Audio 3 amp specifically for use with my DT-880 (2003). I've rolled the tubes to some smoother sounding Amperex input and Tung-Sol power tube, it was a positive step but not some huge difference. I really like my amp which is totally stock inside btw. My sources aren't anything to get excited about but my rig brings a huge smile
eggosmile.gif

Like others say, SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE.

Happy listening.

Ok great somone with my setup. And yes I am still in learning. I do now understand how important the source is.

Sep 21, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #19 of 23
Your discman can do ok as a spinner if you use a dac after it and then to your amp. I use portable dismans all the time with my Monica II (which no longer appears available as i can't raise my friend who made them) and I get greeeaaat sound. Get a good portable dac and you will reap the rewards as you will still have a small rig.

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
Your discman can do ok as a spinner if you use a dac after it and then to your amp. I use portable dismans all the time with my Monica II (which no longer appears available as i can't raise my friend who made them) and I get greeeaaat sound. Get a good portable dac and you will reap the rewards as you will still have a small rig.

Thanks for your advice, but I think I will go for a new soundcard. As a do most of my music listening on the pc. I did briefly look into the portable dac's. Read about a Roland dac which seemed pretty nice. But for now new sound card is on the agenda. When purchased I hope that opens up the woo3 and dt880.

Sep 21, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 23
Probably won't hurt but nothing is as good as a dedicated dac and the Monica II beats most everything including most home models but from what I have been reading a good soundcard should do well.

Sep 21, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 23
Well Guys,

I finally bought a Juli@ a few months ago but was holding of installing it
waiting for Vista and Juli@ drivers for Vista. After a few issues with the beta
drivers I got it working. I must say I was fantastically suppried. The sound is
absolutly amazing. The long long wait was most definatly worth it. I'm looking
forward for the amp to open up even more over the time I use it. Tube rolling will
come later along the line.

One question remains though, should I get a better interconnection cable?
I'm at the moment just using some generic cable.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Regards,
polski

============================
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
Probably won't hurt but nothing is as good as a dedicated dac and the Monica II beats most everything including most home models but from what I have been reading a good soundcard should do well.

Well just a new soundcard for now. I have tracked down a ESI Juli@ on eBay.
Let's hope I win the bidding. I am anxiously awaiting how the dt800+woo3 sound with a good source.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #23 of 23
Well Guys,

I finally bought a Juli@ a few months ago but was holding of installing it
waiting for Vista and Juli@ drivers for Vista. After a few issues with the beta
drivers I got it working. I must say I was fantastically suppried. The sound is
absolutly amazing. The long long wait was most definatly worth it. I'm looking
forward for the amp to open up even more over the time I use it. Tube rolling will come later along the line.

One question remains though, should I get a better interconnection cable?
I'm at the moment just using some generic cable.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Regards,
polski

Users who are viewing this thread

Back