WooAudio WA6 SE (WA6SE) vs HeadAmp GS1 as the best all around amp in the ~1000$ price range
Dec 18, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 12
I was in the same boat as you are some months ago, I needed to choose between theese two, picked an WA SE and I couldnt be happier. I like it a LOT, and it is way better that my previous Corda Opera which is an SS amp like GS-1, never heard and GS-1, but I will never ever leave tube amps after I experienced the WA6SE. If you want an musical, lush, very easy to listen sound, with an natural tone and a touch of warmth go for the WA6SE, if you want an analitical, drier sound go for the GS-1
They both are trully great amps

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 12
I have had the pleasure of owning both, and they are both great performers. I really couldn't say one is better than the other. GS-1 provides utmost speed, transparency and detail, whereas 6SE imparts a little more sweetness and overall dynamics. It really comes down to personal preferences at this performance level...
In this price range, you should also consider Donald North's Sonett. It is the most satisfying amp I've owned up to this point. Utmost musicality with amazing build quality. Also, if you're going to use IEM's, Sonett is the quietest out of the three.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 12
I got to audition a WA6 (not SE) alongside a GS-1. Both are excellent amps, the GS-1 has a more crystaline detailed treble whereas the WA6 had a fuller bodied sound with the same quiet background. I chose the WA6 for several reasons and its been a very enjoyable amp to use, with different headphones and tube rolling has kept my interest in the amp. I've used it mostly with HD650, AD200 and D5000 and even my SA6 IEM are usable, since the amp has a dead quiet background with all the tubes I've used. I demoed an HD800 for a week and the pairing was excellent to my ears.

The WA6SE is an even better amp so I dont see that you would be disappointed.

AFAIK, the GS-1 also has quite a waiting period, so that might affect your decision too.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 12
I have had the GS-1 for almost a year and a half and have not considered replacing it or supplementing it. It truly is wire with gain. It presents the music and makes the headphone sing, revealing its (headphones) signature. IMO if someone did not like the GS-1, they actually did not like the recording, dac or headphone, because the amp does not add or subtract anything.
I have not heard the Woo, but I think I am now firmly in the Solid State camp.

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in the same boat as you are some months ago, I needed to choose between theese two, picked an WA SE and I couldnt be happier. I like it a LOT, and it is way better that my previous Corda Opera which is an SS amp like GS-1, never heard and GS-1, but I will never ever leave tube amps after I experienced the WA6SE. If you want an musical, lush, very easy to listen sound, with an natural tone and a touch of warmth go for the WA6SE, if you want an analitical, drier sound go for the GS-1
They both are trully great amps

An Opera is not even close to a GS-1.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 12
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back