WooAudio 6 is here!!
Nov 6, 2006 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

nichifanlema

500+ Head-Fier
When i came back from class today, there was a heavy box waiting for me..

And it was Woo 6!!
biggrin.gif

I had ordered it last Tuesday, so it took about 6 days to get it in my hand.

The box was about 14 lbs, and the amp was packed very well.

I must say, the amp is BEAUTIFUL! I thought the pictures on the WooAudio website was really pretty...and it looks even better in real !!

The amp came with stock tubes : which were a Chinese 5AR4 rectifier tube, and two GE 6DE7 tubes. Plugged them in, turned the amp on, waited for about 30 min, and hooked it up with Beyer DT990(2005). Oh, and I set the impedance selector on the high ohm.

The music is very detailed, and musical....i love it! The amp seems to be taming the high ends of DT990, and the cold shrillness that used to be there seems to be going away; but the detail still stays there. I really like this clear sound!

DT990 has a V shaped sonical characteristic....Strength in Highs and Lows, but somewhat weak in the midrange...however, the Woo6 seems to be making up the DT990's weak mids...will comment about this after some more listening.

The bass/lows.... Beyer DT990 does have quite alot bass energy...and if matched wrongly, it could sound bloaty and overwhelming. However, Woo6
has a good control/grip of the low range. Authoritative, but blends in well with the whole music.

I never have used a tube amp before, so I can't compare with other tube amps...but I think now I can see what is the "Tubey sound".... Comparing to my beloved Stello HP100 (a SS amp), the Woo6 does somewhat lack in speediness and in-your-face factor of the music...however, the music is more "Full" sounded, warm, still very detailed, and balanced nicely.

That's it for now...gotta do some more listening!

I really like it....can't wait for some tuberolling...and what it will become after it gets fully burned-in!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

EDIT : Okay, I threw away the old pictures, and got some new pictures using different cellphone...much better than before, but still somewhat of poor image quality...I'll try to get my digital camera back as soon as possible
biggrin.gif

ph25.jpg

ph26.jpg

ph32.jpg

ph34.jpg

ph36.jpg

ph37.jpg

ph38.jpg

ph39.jpg

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 30
How much do these Woo's go for?? I'm planning on getting some AKGs or Beyers and am looking for an amp, lunchbox, little dot2+ or ++, XCan V3, or maybe this. Let me know what you think about this woo against those running the K series (501, 601, 701) or the DT series phones. thanks!

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktogun
How much do these Woo's go for?? I'm planning on getting some AKGs or Beyers and am looking for an amp, lunchbox, little dot2+ or ++, XCan V3, or maybe this. Let me know what you think about this woo against those running the K series (501, 601, 701) or the DT series phones. thanks!

$600, including the shipping... I can't say much about the AKG phones, coz I don't have any...
wink.gif
but as for Beyer DT's, I think Woo6 synergizes with DT990(2005) very well.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 30
those pictures look like the secret spy pics of yet-to-be-released apple products...hey, you don't have a pic of the new iphone, do you?
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 30
Wow, it's only 600? I never even checked on the price, but for some reason I was thinking ~900..
If it can drive low imp. phones this well too, it might prove to be quite the bargain...

Nov 7, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
those pictures look like the secret spy pics of yet-to-be-released apple products...hey, you don't have a pic of the new iphone, do you?
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by FA22RaptorF22
nice cell phone pic lol.

Heh, I'll try to replace that with some good photo...
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji
Great to know the WA6 arrived safely!

Do you still have the RS-2s? Because I'd love to know how it pairs with Grados... although I'm tempted to get the Ear+ instead...

Unfortunately, no...I sold it a week after I bought it...

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 30
Please stop posting! When output trans are done correctly, which is how I built my preamp, the sound can be glorious. If not done correctly it can be a little muddy and lacking. I would imagine with my experience with the Woo 3 that they did the 6 right. I love the solid build of the 3 and knowing the 6 is the same case adds to my confidence. One other good thing is the very short signal path until it gets to the opt. Oh well, go ahead and keep posting since this is my only solace for now. I must add that I like the compact size of the 3 or 6. That is one thing I like about Ray's Raptor, in looks and design.

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
The music is very detailed, and musical....i love it! The amp seems to be taming the high ends of DT990, and the cold shrillness that used to be there seems to be going away; but the detail still stays there. I really like this clear sound!

...however, the music is more "Full" sounded, warm, still very detailed, and balanced nicely.

Great reviews! That's what I want to say.
3000smile.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck
How does it sound compared to the HP100?

They are both a mid-range priced amplifiers (a new HP100 is $595, with additional $85 for shipping)

To tell the truth, I don't know.
I haven't spent enough time with Woo6 yet so that I can judge whether I like one over another. And even if I do spent some time with it and was asked again the same question, I'd still have a hard time answering it..

It's a thing of a preference: whether you like a little dry, analytical, modern but speedy sound, or a little more full & warm, analog sound....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back