Wooaudio 4 owners?
Nov 25, 2007 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kelvinz

500+ Head-Fier
Looks like I'm getting a headphone amp for x-mas!

I'm really attracted by the wooaudio 4's looks but I can't seem to find any reviews of the amp online.

Could you I get some impressions on this amp from you guys? Please include what other amps you've owned/listened to.

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 23
I almost bought the WA4. I decided to settle for something else for now. There wasn't enough written on it and there was only one head-fier that I could find that owned one. He spoke highly of it but has since sold it. I plan to re-visit the issue early next year. Maybe there will be more available on it by then.

Good luck!

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 23
You may want to check with Jack at Wooaudio regarding other owners. The Woo 4 is a also an integrated amp. I believe it can be built to be optimized for headphone use if you don't need it for speaker.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to check with Jack at Wooaudio regarding other owners. The Woo 4 is a also an integrated amp. I believe it can be built to be optimized for headphone use if you don't need it for speaker.

Thanks for the advice sent him a email on it.

Kinda strange that there seems to be very few owners on headfi of all places.... Yet there are so many singlepower amp owners even though they are in the same price range.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 23
the wa-4 or the wa-2 is next on my list...the cap upgrades are important if you
want to squeeze out the max out of the units...another tweak that's very
important, as i've recently found out, is the synergy with the power cord...

yes, the power cord! i've been using a diy power cord that cost me some pretty
pennies and thought they were good enough, but recently tried the volex 17604
power cord that costs $9 and i'm blown away by how right this cheap cord
sounds with the wa-6 maxed. my expensive cord made my wa-6 sound lean and dynamic
compared to the volex which made the amp sound euphonic with a robust mid. this set up
compliments my vda-2 dac which is analytical and dynamic on its own...this
power cord made my unit sound so much more robust and each note seems
more focused and has a feeling of weight to it...the bass is improved as well...
i couldn't believe it, but this tweak is as significant as the cap upgrades and
more noticeable than tube rolling...i'm now a believer in power cord synergy...
it's giving my mpx-3 slam se a run for the money...

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 23
recently tried the volex 17604
power cord that costs $9 and i'm blown away by how right this cheap cord
sounds with the wa-6 maxed. my expensive cord was lean and dynamic compared
to the volex which is euphonic heaven with a robust mid. ...this
power cord made my unit sound so much more robust and each note seems
more focused and has a feeling of weight to it...the bass is improved as well...
[/QUOTE]

Where could I get two of these?

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice sent him a email on it.

Kinda strange that there seems to be very few owners on headfi of all places.... Yet there are so many singlepower amp owners even though they are in the same price range.

Just because a particular amp and/or manufacturer does well in terms of the number of units sold doesn't mean it's necessarily a better product than others that don't sell as well. The Eddie Curret Zana Deux is one of the better single ended amps out there imo, but it doesn't sell anywhere like SP, RSA or HR, as an example.

I will say this, I love my WA5 and the service I've receieved from Woo Audio. I've heard the WA2 with HD-600's and would own one if I hadn't bought the WA5. I haven't heard the WA4 but hope to one of these days.

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 23
For that price it's worth a shot!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can just google it and it should give you some alternatives...but
if you're lazy like i am sometimes, try:

17604 | VOLEX | Cable Assemblies | Cable, Wire & Accessories | Newark

the price seems to have gone up from $9 to about $10 now...and i got these only about a month ago...

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 23
even if it were $90 it'd be a worthy tweak/upgrade for the amp...i'm not
certain how it'd be for a stock wa-6 but for the maxed version it's short
of amazing what it's done for the SQ...

and it's not the material being used, obviously, because the more expensive
powercords didn't seem to affect the SQ as drastically as these cheap ones
are doing...not that i'm complaining...

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because a particular amp and/or manufacturer does well in terms of the number of units sold doesn't mean it's necessarily a better product than others that don't sell as well. The Eddie Curret Zana Deux is one of the better single ended amps out there imo, but it doesn't sell anywhere like SP, RSA or HR, as an example.

I will say this, I love my WA5 and the service I've receieved from Woo Audio. I've heard the WA2 with HD-600's and would own one if I hadn't bought the WA5. I haven't heard the WA4 but hope to one of these days.

Funny you should mention the zana deux that is one of the three amps I am considering as well.

With that said I was able to find a few reviews on the zana but basically none on the wooaudio

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 23
I own first Woo4 that was build in headphone only version and was maxxed out (black gate +V-cap) - it's great amp. but will be "pain in the a**" without "right" tubes in it ( right mean - the one that suit your headphones )- I received it with ulyanov 6c19p ( sovtek branded ), EH ecc82 and jan g.e. 6x4 ( yes headphone only version uses 6x4 instead of ecc88 ) - now I'm using svetlana 6c19p-v ( it's a lie that all 6c19 are the same - ulyanov in compare to svetlana is bright, thin and lifeless ), mullard ecc82 (planing to try amperex - horibly expensive ) and jan g.e. 6x4 ( waiting for mullard - marconi in plans )

my headphones are W5000 and not very well known MHZS cd88 as a source

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 23
The Tungsol 6X4 square getter halo from the era of 1958 to 1960 with flashing covering about 1/3 of the tube from the top down is the best. I have many Mullard and brands from all over the world and the TungSol is the best. I also have the Gold Lion version that runs around 150 dollars (4 nos) and the Tungsol are better.

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 23
thanks for input - I will definetly try them - and will try this horibly expensive amperex ( on their way
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back