Wooaudio 3 and CD3000?
Mar 28, 2005 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

EdipisReks

Banned
i am planning my next home amplifier upgrade, and i'm intrigued by the Wooaudio 3. is it an appropriate amp for the low impedance/high sensitivity CD3000's? if so, it looks like a winner. i know that some of the tube amps work better with higher impedance phones, like the Senn 580/6x0 series. thanks!

Mar 28, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i am planning my next home amplifier upgrade, and i'm intrigued by the Wooaudio 3. is it an appropriate amp for the low impedance/high sensitivity CD3000's? if so, it looks like a winner. i know that some of the tube amps work better with higher impedance phones, like the Senn 580/6x0 series. thanks!

I have the Woo 3 and I dont think it will work. The 6as7 tube run OTL has a high output impedence and would have a tough time driving low impedence headphones without noise and /or clipping. I get a very slight hum even with my 650's. With the high sensitivity of the cd3000's that would be ruthlessly exposed. I really cant see this being a successful pairing. The Eddie Current hd300 also uses a 6as7 run OTL and using low impedences headphones is NOT recommended.

However, the Eddie Current hd25 has a transformer coupled output and WOULD drive low impedence headphones with ease. The hd25 was nice and quiet when I tried the amp with grado sr-225's and my senn 650's. I would look at the hd25 if you are interested in this 6as7 tube type for driving low impedence headphones.

www.eddiecurrent.com

Another amp that I know drives the cd3000 with ease is the singlepower ppx3. The new singlepower amp called the SLAM that uses 5687 tubes on the outputs will be a real powerhouse too. I like the chassis mount tube sockets and parts quality better in the singlepowers and the sound is outstanding; especially with the SLAM.

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 20
With no music playing, I cannot detect any hum from my RS1 plugged into Woo3 at maximum volume (5:30). The highest that I actually listen at is around 11 o'clock. Maybe I'm lucky
rs1smile.gif

That said, Woo3 is the only tube amp I have, so there are probably that better ones exist for low-impedance phones.

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 20
SACD Lover:
Have you tried rolling different tubes with the Woo3? Perhaps a different set will be quieter. My Woo3 is in default configuration; the tubes have been replaced with RCA (Made in Holland by Amperex) 6DJ8s and RCA 6AS7G.

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 20
hmm. the Wooaudio 3 is around the price that i want to spend. it seems that there aren't a lot of great options in the $500 range, new or used. oh well, it's academic at the moment as i need to upgrade my source before i upgrade amps.

Mar 29, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
SACD Lover:
Have you tried rolling different tubes with the Woo3? Perhaps a different set will be quieter. My Woo3 is in default configuration; the tubes have been replaced with RCA (Made in Holland by Amperex) 6DJ8s and RCA 6AS7G.

I have used the stock sovtek 6922's, GE and tung sol 6bz7's (a more rugged forerunner and drop in replacement of the 6dj8) and I have some RCA 6fw8's (a premium 6dj8) coming. I have used a sylvania 6080, JAN tung sol 6080, JAN tung sol 6as7 and finally the tung sol 5998. Its not the tubes. I thought it might be a ground loop but reconfiguring things didnt help. I use the senn 650's so I am at a loss why I get any hum. Jamoto8 told me the input wires run by the transformer and that the input wires could be picking up the hum.
confused.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 20
what is the price of the ppx3? for some reason i thought it was considerably more expensive than the Wooaudio 3, but the featured review from june 2004 shows it being the same price as the Woo3. the singlepower site doesn't have prices listed, unfortunately. i love the Singlepower sound, both with the CD3000's and other phones, from both of the Ohio meets i've been too and if the ppx3 is in that $500ish price range, i definitely think it'll be the one for me.

Mar 29, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 20
Before I got my ppx3-6sn7, I'm choosing between woo3 and ppx3.

Now, I'm happy with my ppx3-6sn7. And thanks sacd lover's advice for tube rolling!

But Woo3 is also a good amp!!!

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 20
It is unfortunate that SACDlover has a hum. I have tried to track this down mentaly. It is fairly easy to pull the incoming wires to the volume control away from the transformer to the bottom of the amp. Even on the very sensitive UM2's I only get the slightest hint of hum. With the HD650's I have to try very hard to hear anything and then I am not sure if it is from outside of the headphones or from the amp but whatever I hear is at such a very low volume that it does not matter.

John

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
It is unfortunate that SACDlover has a hum. I have tried to track this down mentaly. It is fairly easy to pull the incoming wires to the volume control away from the transformer to the bottom of the amp. Even on the very sensitive UM2's I only get the slightest hint of hum. With the HD650's I have to try very hard to hear anything and then I am not sure if it is from outside of the headphones or from the amp but whatever I hear is at such a very low volume that it does not matter.

John

I have been determined to figure this out and some changes I made with putting the source on the same outlet helped. I also noticed a drop in the noise floor once I put some halos on the 6bz7's. Some of the hum may have been microphonics. I am to the point where it really doesnt bother me. But I am not sure if this would be true with low impedence headphones; hence my reservations using the stock Woo with the cd3000's.

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 20
My Woo 3 is dead quiet with the stock tubes and my Senn 580's. I do get a slight hum using 6BZ7's in place of of the 6922's, and I think it's a bias issue of some type that perhaps a change of resistors would fix.

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
My Woo 3 is dead quiet with the stock tubes and my Senn 580's. I do get a slight hum using 6BZ7's in place of of the 6922's, and I think it's a bias issue of some type that perhaps a change of resistors would fix.

Mine is a little quieter with the stock 6922's due to the gain difference between a 6bz7 (36) and 6922 (33); I think. But still some hum there even with the 6922's. Maybe I can hear better than you guys.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 20
I just plugged in my UM2's with some beta tri cup ear pieces. They are very, very detailed with this and you hear everything. I can barely hear hum but even with these it is at such a low level as to be of no concern.

I have changed the resistors in the unit to Mills, which are known to be very quiet and ofcourse I am using Black Gates and Solen Fast caps with a bypass.

This is with 6BZ7's and a 7236.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back