Woo6 Topology
Nov 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
I've searched and read all the threads. But this amp is still a bit of a mystery.
The DNA Sonnet webpage is very upfront about the key factors in an SET OPT amp.

Does the Woo6 take the output from the cathode or the anode and is there a capacitor on the output before the OPT?

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 9
it comes from the cathode... hence a cathode follower circuit. it's very minimal design
and doesn't use a cap before the opt... as far as i can tell.* ask jack for the specifics.
though he can be kinda slow with the emails these days.

*my bad, there is one if you're talking about the cathode caps, before the opt.
it's hard to tell from pics but you'll see it when you take it apart.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 9
That's too bad, at least on paper the DNA amp should sound better since the output is from the plate, but there are many other variables. Would be an interesting comparison Woo6SE vs DNA Sonnett.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 9
yes, i would think there are many other variables, such as the quality of the opt and
overall implementations. the woo6se is directly coupled and provides better bass quality
than the wa6, among other things

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 9
interestingly, i believe the wa6se uses the plates for the output path... it goes from
the anode plates to the opt to the hp jacks, nothing in between.

or not... i may've overshot that... i'll take a look when i have the chance to confirm.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interestingly, i believe the wa6se uses the plates for the output path... it goes from
the anode plates to the opt to the hp jacks, nothing in between.

or not... i may've overshot that... i'll take a look when i have the chance to confirm.

Let us know, I have experiemented with many designs over the years and have always preferred the sound with the output from the anode when possible.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 9
just from eyeballing it sure looks like the anode plate is connected to the B+ and the
opt.... i'll try to confirm with jack.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 9
jack confirmed that the wa6 uses the cathode for output and the wa6SE uses the plate
for output. it should be simple enough to change the topology to fit your needs.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 9
Sure, you could change the 6 to the 6SE pretty easy. I will change mine over one of these days just no time right now. I would be interesting to hear the difference but I have to admit that my very modified 6 is extremely open sounding with solid power though not overblown bass. I even use it with my JH13 Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back