Woo6: Stunning (to me)
Mar 3, 2007 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
Got my silver W006 today, and all I can say is wow. This thing, to me, is a work of art. A very heavy, solid work of art. Fit and finish is impeccable. It truly is a thing of beauty. Of course you have to bear in mind my frame of reference. My only other tube amp was an original Little Dot II, which is a fine amp in it's own right, but at a completely different price-point. I also have listened extensively to my Gilmore Lite.

I'm initially running my Woo6 with the two GE 6DE7 driver tubes and a Svetlana (current production) 5U4G 'coke-bottle' rectifier that I received with the amp. Better to use the same tubes as Jack Wu for my initial test-listen so as not to introduce any unknown problem or variable.

First off, powered on, with no input signal, and the volume at max, I get pure blackness. Absolutely no sign of a hiss, crackle, hum. Nothing. With my source (NAD C 521BEE) playing, the volume pot is smooth and linear with no imbalance that I can detect. Nice heft and feel to the knob.

As far as the sound, I'm a bit hesitant to post any impressions regarding the tonal quality of my gear, and don't feel comfortable using the typical terms used by other, more experienced members since I am still a relative newcomer to the hobby. All I can say is that, to my old ears, this amp sounds wonderful. It has a perfectly balanced sound across the spectrum. Very detailed, without a hint of harshness.

The amp is resolving details that I have never heard in some of my most familiar music. Listening to Steely Dan with my HD600, I'm actually hearing what I believe to be the 'tick' of Jeff Baxter's pick on the strings of his guitar. At first I thought it was noise, as I had never heard it before. Donald Fagan's lisp has never been so wonderfully apparent. I am so taken with the Woo6 and HD600 that I haven't even reached for my 325i (yet). My main motivation in getting this amp was its ability to drive low-impedance phones, in addition to my HD600, through the flick of a switch.

And keep in mind that I am using what many here regard as a somewhat substandard rectifier. I have already spent over $200 on some NOS tubes for rolling, including a British made Mullard 5AR4 and some Amperex 6DE7s, so the journey has just begun.

And if I may, I would like to loudly sing the praises of Mr. Jack Wu. He is simply a joy to work with. I can't count the number of times I emailed him with questions about the amp, tubes, etc...and he was always very patient, upbeat, and courteous in his replies.

Thank you Jack, and thank you Head-Fi.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 2
i'm glad you enjoy your amp; thanks for the impressions, makes me even more willing to buy the Woo4 when i get my speakers in.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back