woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options
Jun 11, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #151 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have experience with the 5V4? I'm listening to an old Sylvania (dug from a large box of miscellaneous tubes I salved from Jet Propulsion Laboratory 20 years ago... some interesting items, but not many I recognize except 6SN7 from the high-end world, although I don't recall numbers well). Just gets better as it warms up!

Compared with the Sovtek 5U4G which came with my otherwise stock WA6, the Sylvania 5V4 has a flatter treble, more extended on top, less rolled off, with a better balance bottom to top. Treble is more finely delineated and realistic. Both lower bass and upper treble sound less rolled off.

Also, the midrange remains glorious but not quite as meaty, less bloated in the "power band", and a bit more transparent. I get a slight increase in separation of instruments, something the stock unit doesn't do as well, I'm sure, as the premium-caps version. The punch and addictive pleasure is still there, but less of the slight glossed-over quality of the Sovtek. (I imagine I'll upgrade caps at some point, myself or Jack).

I was bummed not to find more usable tubes in my box, such as 6DE7, 6EW7, and the long list of tubes I've seen mentioned as rectifiers.

If anyone knows of a good auction or supplier for tubes that help extend the bandwidth and bring in a bit more detail and imaging, please post a link! Same with do-it-yourself capacitor replacements. Hell, I can solder just fine!

By the way, here is my checklist of tubes mentioned in these threads. What have I missed?

Sovtek 5U4G came stock

5AR4/GZ34 (metal base recommended)
GZ33
GZ37/CV378
5AS4
5R4/WGA/WGB
5R4/FA/GA/GB/GY/GYA/GYB
5R4R Mullard
5U4G/U52
5U4GA
5U4GB (Western Electric 422a)
5U4WG
5V4/5V4G/GZ32/CV593
CV5745
U52
U54
CV575
CV1377
VT-244
274B

6dE7
6EW7 slim bottle, or adapter

For those new to the subject:
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - philips metalbase or any other metal base 5ar4/gz34 are very dynamic
Tube gurus, please impart your wisdom - 6de7 is a dissimiliar twin triode
WA6 Tube Rolling - 6DE7 sound will depend upon when it was made
Woo 6 with images of the 6EW7 - To quote Jack,...
WA6 Tube Rolling - All the metal based tubes I seen on ebay are going at 160s +
Woo Audio 2 - interesting 6DE7 versions
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - Page 2 - input stage of the 6de7 only has a gain/ amplification factor of 17
Upgraded Woo Audio 6? - more on narrow diameter 6ew7
HOLY WOO: Impressions of WA6 retrofitted w/ full upgrades - Page 2 - 6DE7 vs 6EW7
I've been Wooed... - Page 2 - 6DE7 one prefers will be chosen from GE/ RCA / Raytheon / Tung Sol or Sylvania
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - fairly complete list of rectifiers
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - Page 5 - summary
WooAudio6 for driving K701 - good choice? - tube summary
I've been Wooed... - WA6 pix and another tube summary
HOLY WOO: Impressions of WA6 retrofitted w/ full upgrades - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
WooAudio6 arrived - first impressions - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
woo6 owners: what tubes? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
Woo 6 is HEEEEEERE!!!! v [PICS] - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
WooAudio WA6 mods - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
WooAudio6 Tube Amplifier Full Review - Part I - Page 2 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
woo6 owners: rectifier tube rolling options - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
5R4GY good and cheap
Upgraded Woo Audio 6? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Too bad those links are all broken after the great head-fi crash of 07. I might try to take the time to search for them all and post the new links. We'll see...

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #152 of 161
don't forget the gz30/5z4g, possibly the most neutral, transparent
and balanced rectifier of them all...the chinese version is grainy
though...

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #153 of 161
Just wondering if anyone have any experience of Matsush ita's tubes, I understand they are Japanese but are they a good make/worth looking into? I don't recall anyone mentioning them in this thread...

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #154 of 161
They used a very high vacuum and made great tubes.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #155 of 161
Has anyone compared the stock tube to the optional Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B on their WA6 or WA6SE? Hope you can share what the extra $150 buys in terms of sound quality. Thanks.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #156 of 161
Mar 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #158 of 161
Folks with WA6-SE and 596 tubes, do you find your fuses blowing very prematurely?

I am currently using 2amp fuses and they seem to blow when the 596 is plugged in, but not when the Princess Sophia or with my 5R4GY.  I'm wondering if maybe I should be using a 3 amp fuse (the Woo Audio manual says 2 or 3 amps are both usable).  If anyone with a 596 can pull out their fuse to check what amp rating yours is would be appreciated.

The fuse blows within 5 second of power up when using the 596 and it seems like my 596 top pins are darker then I remember them being so I'm wondering if i got a bad tube.... 

what do you guys think?  

I sent Jack an email I hope he gets back to me.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #159 of 161
Quote:
Folks with WA6-SE and 596 tubes, do you find your fuses blowing very prematurely?

I am currently using 2amp fuses and they seem to blow when the 596 is plugged in, but not when the Princess Sophia or with my 5R4GY.  I'm wondering if maybe I should be using a 3 amp fuse (the Woo Audio manual says 2 or 3 amps are both usable).  If anyone with a 596 can pull out their fuse to check what amp rating yours is would be appreciated.

The fuse blows within 5 second of power up when using the 596 and it seems like my 596 top pins are darker then I remember them being so I'm wondering if i got a bad tube.... 

what do you guys think?  

I sent Jack an email I hope he gets back to me.

SOOO I got a replacement tube and it's been working GREAT so far.

Communication and shipping was a bit slower then I would have liked, but I'm sure Jack's super busy so it's understandable.  In the end, though, everything worked out ok.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #160 of 161
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but Im really looking for a few tubes for my Wa6
if you can help that would be greatly appreciated

USAF 596
Emission Labs 274B

Thanks
Joe

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #161 of 161
don't forget the gz30/5z4g, possibly the most neutral, transparent
and balanced rectifier of them all...the chinese version is grainy

though...

Love to hear which is the best for jazz mainly female vocals?
Looking at the z32 or z37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back