Woo6 just in
Mar 17, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope it wasn't an expensive cord. I keep cheater plugs handy:

g.jpg

I've never heard any hum with my WA3.

Yeah, it's a $2 computer cord, which is why I want to upgrade to something at least a bit nicer. Maybe a Jellyfish.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't get bummed out about it. I think it's an isolated incident with my set-up. It could have been anything really, and now it's completely gone. I was disappointed when I heard it, but I haven't heard anything for the last couple of weeks. and believe me I'm listening for it now. It's completely gone. If you'd like, I'll plug in a grounded cord and have a listen right now and report back with my result.

Really, give the amp a chance. Jack has a reputation for building a very nice amp, and nobody that I know of has had any type of background noise, at least in the threads that I've read here. I'm certain yours will be fine. I'd bet on it.

If it's not to much trouble that would be great. I certainly will give the amp a chance. It's just that hum or buzz completely ruins it for me. My audio system is dead quite. I did have a slight buzz when I installed my Crown XTI-2000 power amp, and found out it was the tv going into my pre-amp. I isolated the ground loop, and now my system is dead quite.

Mar 17, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by phaseshift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not to much trouble that would be great. I certainly will give the amp a chance. It's just that hum or buzz completely ruins it for me. My audio system is dead quite. I did have a slight buzz when I installed my Crown XTI-2000 power amp, and found out it was the tv going into my pre-amp. I isolated the ground loop, and now my system is dead quite.

Give me 10-minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, got another el-cheapo computer grade power cord with ground pin. Amp has been on for under 5-minutes, source connected with no music playing and the volume at max. Result: Pure, sweet blackness.

As I posted above, I never really suspected the amp was the problem, yet now I wonder exactly what was causing the buzz. Regardless of what it was, it's gone now and I'm meeting all of my municipality's electrical codes.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Yeah, it's a $2 computer cord, which is why I want to upgrade to something at least a bit nicer. Maybe a Jellyfish.

lol

I happen to be using an ugly grey $2 PC cord with mine. I plan to buy a decent cord someday too, maybe under $30 or so...no super-mega python that costs 3X as much as the amp
blink.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Has anyone else had hum or buzz with Woo amps? This is very discouraging.

I did with my WA6 but it wasn't there initially. I tried different sockets in the house, cords, and every tube that I own just about and it was still there. I wrote Jack, he diagnosed the problem and I sent it back for a quick tune up. It should be here tomorrow. Just let Jack know what is going on and he will get back to you within a day usually with helpful answers and great service.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol

I happen to be using an ugly grey $2 PC cord with mine. I plan to buy a decent cord someday too, maybe under $30 or so...no super-mega python that costs 3X as much as the amp
blink.gif

I'm with you. I will not get into the 'great debate' about power cords and interconnects, but personally I wouldn't spend over $50 on either. Of course I probably lost any credibility that I may have had by saying that.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Give me 10-minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, got another el-cheapo computer grade power cord with ground pin. Amp has been on for under 5-minutes, source connected with no music playing and the volume at max. Result: Pure, sweet blackness.

As I posted above, I never really suspected the amp was the problem, yet now I wonder exactly what was causing the buzz. Regardless of what it was, it's gone now and I'm meeting all of my municipality's electrical codes.

Well that's good to hear. I'll be using a cheap cord also from an old hard drive. Maybe I should go to Home Depot and look for something a bit better. Thanks for checking it out. Have you had any problems at all with your unit? How old is it?

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Well that's good to hear. I'll be using a cheap cord also from an old hard drive. Maybe I should go to Home Depot and look for something a bit better. Thanks for checking it out. Have you had any problems at all with your unit? How old is it?

I've had it for like 2 or 3 weeks, and it's been great. I have limited experience with this stuff, but I am very impressed with the amp. It's well built, looks great, and best of all it is the best sounding amp that I have heard. I'm certain there are better, but I'm thrilled with it. It strikes just the right balance between price and performance for me. I'm really right where I want to be in the hobby, which I guess would be entry-level or mid-fi and I'm satisfied. Considering the headphones and source that I own, I have no desire right now to spend more money on something that I might not be able to appreciate.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did with my WA6 but it wasn't there initially. I tried different sockets in the house, cords, and every tube that I own just about and it was still there. I wrote Jack, he diagnosed the problem and I sent it back for a quick tune up. It should be here tomorrow. Just let Jack know what is going on and he will get back to you within a day usually with helpful answers and great service.

Did you have to pay shipping either way? I think for the $600.00 that is unacceptable frankly. These units should be checked thoroughly before shipping.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Did you have to pay shipping either way? I think for the $600.00 that is unacceptable frankly. These units should be checked thoroughly before shipping.

Looks like he said it wasn't there when he initially got it and it started some time later. That would mean that it wasn't there when Jack listened to it.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did Jack say what the problem may have been?

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #27 of 58
Back from my social obligations.. just to chime in on buzz/hum - my W006 was dead black right out of the box - volume cranked - not a hint of noise.. and my experience with Jack has been great - would absolutely recommend this to anyone.. As far as interconnects and power cables - My background is more from the taping world and there are lots of guys that build great cables for very reasonable prices (kindkables, hi ho silvers, nickspicks hydras, etc).. I think good silver conductors and a decent shielded power cord with a decent power conditioner probably gets you within .001 percent of what the ultra highend cables do - as is evidenced by most double blind tests conducted on cables. YMMV

Jeff

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

I didn't know that Mullard made a 5U4G, maybe a GZ37?...or a Mullard 5AR4?

Regardless, I also recently got a Woo6 and have been running it with various rectifier tubes. Tube purchases can add up quickly. I have spent a few bucks on tubes over the past few weeks including a Philips Miniwatt 5AR4 and a Japanese 5AR4. I also have several 5U4Gs (JAN RCA, Raytheon, GE). I also have purchased several pairs of driver tubes (Amperex, RCA, GE, Dumont). This in addition to the Chinese 5AR4 and Svetlana 5U4G that I got with the amp. In total, I have 6 pairs of 6DE7s, 6 5U4G 'coke bottles', 1 RCA 5U4GB, and 3 5AR4s. That's a lot of potential combinations to try.
eek.gif
And this is a meager collection compared to what I've seen here on the forums.

I will say this:

When I first got the amp I listened with my HD600 for the first few days and it sounded wonderful (still does). I've been listening mainly with the Raytheon rectifier and the GE driver tubes. Then I got out my 325i, and haven't looked back. The Woo6 seems to warm them up nicely, at least compared to the only solid state amp I've used with them (Gilmore Lite, which I sold).

The Woo amp is a great amp with exceptional build quality. I've definitely become a fanboy.

Hey Tech 2
If you could just please tell me where you purchased the amperex drive tubes.Can't find anything but rca,ge,syl

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #30 of 58
I've been the happy owner of a Woo6 for the past couple of months. No hiss, hum, buzz or any other noises here, while the amp is maxed out with the switch at high gain, source connected and on pause with the HD650 and K701. I'm using a $20 Monster Power cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back