Woo3 hum
Dec 29, 2019 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
My Woo3 is going on in age and is at least 15 - 20 years old. Since some time I hear a low level hum coming through my headphones

I have changed tubes and unplugged the rca cable but the hum is always there. Does not get louder or quieter with change of the volume.

Just wondering if the caps inside getting old and are making the noise.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Anyone ?

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Have you sent an email to Woo? In my experience they are responsive and helpful.

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Have not but will do now, thanks

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 7
I have an original W3 too, from about 2006. Have you tried a different plug? Or try a different power cord. Also are you using the same headphones you always use. All tube amps have a slight hum? The other thing you could do is find someone with a tube tester. Obviously you could send it back too, but hopefully there will be an easier way.

Capacitors last 20 years on the shortest lifecycle, many go way more. The other thing believe it or not is what’s plugged into the same wall wiring at your house. Mine has had some intermittent hums once in a while? Change wall plugs and listen.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 7
I have tried different headphones and the him level depends on the sensitivity of the phones. I have a tube tester and the tubes are fine, also tried different tubes but no change.

May need to try a different power outlet.

The noise sounds very much like it is coming from the 50 Hz power supply.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 7
I have tried different headphones and the him level depends on the sensitivity of the phones. I have a tube tester and the tubes are fine, also tried different tubes but no change.

May need to try a different power outlet.

The noise sounds very much like it is coming from the 50 Hz power supply.

I used to collect really old tube amps and they always seemed to work for years and years. I was using 1964 tube amps in 2007 and the capacitor were still good. Though I know very little on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back