Woo WA7tp upgrade or silver cable?
Oct 1, 2015 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hyperism

Head-Fier
I have an LCD3 with a Woo WA7 with the solid state PSU.

I wanted to maximize the performance of this combination so I was looking at the WA7tp tube power supply. I want to know if this is a worthwhile investment or should I just get a better cable for the LCD 3? Or should I move to another Amp/Dac combo as if I get the WA7tp this amp combo will be about 1300$.

Cheers!

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 13
The wa7tp makes a big difference you will notice it makes the wa7 worth owning..

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 13
  The wa7tp makes a big difference you will notice it makes the wa7 worth owning..

Do you think if I get it, I will be ok for a while? I see the audio stuff as an investment and don't want to get addicted to gear (Yeah! It's tough).

But I am wondering if there isa  better DAC/AMP combo than the wa7+wa7tp. 

Also wanted to know if I can get a better DAC for the WA7 to make it shine.

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 13
I owned the wa7d/tp for about a year and really loved that amp I since upgraded to the wa22 but I will say this you will notice a big difference when you do upgrade with the wa7tp, imo the headphone cable won't make any impact in sq. A better dac will also make a very nice difference in sq and yes you'll hear it. The wa7's on board dac is it's weakness, I bought a demo Nuforce dac-80 for  my wa7d/tp and was very happy I did. If you plan on keeping the wa7 go for the wa7tp with a better dac sorry but that's what it really takes to make the wa7 sound great.. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 13
  I owned the wa7d/tp for about a year and really loved that amp I since upgraded to the wa22 but I will say this you will notice a big difference when you do upgrade with the wa7tp, imo the headphone cable won't make any impact in sq. A better dac will also make a very nice difference in sq and yes you'll hear it. The wa7's on board dac is it's weakness, I bought a demo Nuforce dac-80 for  my wa7d/tp and was very happy I did. If you plan on keeping the wa7 go for the wa7tp with a better dac sorry but that's what it really takes to make the wa7 sound great.. 

Would you say something like a WA22 is better than WA7/tp + DAC? The latter will come out to be about the same price as a WA22.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 13
I wouldn't say better, the wa7d/tp sounded really good it has a deep sweet sounding bass. The wa22 gives me a lot more options with tube rolling plus it's a balanced amp and I also own a balanced dac it's also used with my rokit 10 3's & s10 speakers, that was the main reason for my upgrade..  

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 13
  I wouldn't say better, the wa7d/tp sounded really good it has a deep sweet sounding bass. The wa22 gives me a lot more options with tube rolling plus it's a balanced amp and I also own a balanced dac it's also used with my rokit 10 3's & s10 speakers, that was the main reason for my upgrade..  

Wonderful, thanks for the info!

I love the smooth bass rollofs with the LCD3 and WA7. It sounds great with the HD700 too and a few other Ultrasone headphones. I guess you can't have a "be all" headphone setup.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 13
I don't know but I've been using the combo for about a month and it just feels like the WA7 (without tp) is not enough to power this monster. It just seems like it chokes when I go to higher volumes. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 13
First main upgrade you'll need to consider is getting a wa7tp and a pair of mullard cv4003's. This amp has all the power you will ever need for the hp's you've got. It drove my lcd2's just great. And the sound  wonderful.. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 13
  First main upgrade you'll need to consider is getting a wa7tp and a pair of mullard cv4003's. This amp has all the power you will ever need for the hp's you've got. It drove my lcd2's just great. And the sound  wonderful.. 

So it's definitely limited by the current solid state PS? If I get the tubes, do I need to switch out the Sovtek ones on the Amp as well?

I just want to maximize the LCD3 by any means necessary. I don't mind getting rid of the WA7 and buying an Amp that pushes the LCD3 to it's limit. I just don't want to invest in the WA7TP and new tubes if I'm not gonna get the maximum benefits of the LCD3. I really love these headphones, they're so fun to listen to.

And I'm not super happy with the internal DAC on the WA7. Unfortunately I don't have the optical version of the WA7 to go straight from my MacBook Pro to the WA7.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 13
I wouldn't say it's limited without the wa7tp, it will surely add more depth and dimension to your music and a smoothness  your missing, but if your looking for more power & enjoy Woo amps step up to a wa22..  

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 13
  I wouldn't say it's limited without the wa7tp, it will surely add more depth and dimension to your music and a smoothness  your missing, but if your looking for more power & enjoy Woo amps step up to a wa22..  

Problem is I haven't really tried many other amps. Maybe I Need to go to some meetups...

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 13
I also use LCD-3F (2016) and the wa7 with the tube power supply. I do have the updated second gen Wa7 with improved DAC. I am curious if some still felt pairing another DAC was necessary. I love the sound but this is also my first dedicated setup so I can not compare to anything.
on the silver cable i use a Moon silver dragon that i really enjoy, too inexperienced to speak on differences in sound compared to the stock cable. however its way better built. seems durable and doesnt feel cheap like the stock cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back