Woo Wa7 vs Schiit Jotunheim for Sennheiser HD700 ?
Dec 5, 2017 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Roger_1

New Head-Fier
I recently acquired my first pair of premium cans, a pair in Sennheiser HD700s and I'm looking for a good day/amp unit to use with them.

I have been using them plugged straight into a MacBook Pro and have found the sound to be a bit on the bright side. Im not sure how much of that has to do with them not getting enough power from the MBP, or if thats there sound signature.

I have looked at the Schitt Jotunheim and the Woo WA7 gen 2, like the Schitt for its price point and have read alot of good reviews on it, but I have read that it can have brighter sound and come up a little short on the low end. If thats the case then I would think maybe this isn't such a good amp to pair with the already bright HD700s.

The Woo WA7 I THINK might pair better with the HD700s since its a tube amp should have a warmer sound, and Ive read it has pretty good bass control.

unfortunately I don't know of anywhere around me where I could listen to these amps. Ive considered buying both and trying them out at home myself and returning the unit I like least.

Im new to the high end personal audio world so Id appreciate some input on which amp would be better would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 3
Not sure if this is of much help, but at Canjam I heard the HD 800 with the wa7 and briefly with the jotunheim. The wa7 impressed me very much and made a great pairing with the Sennheiser sound. I assume the story would be similar with the HD 700, though I've never heard them. Honestly, they both sounded really great and you couldn't go wrong with either, the woo wa7 might just have a warmer, smoother sound and possibly more detail.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 3
The Jotunheim is generally considered to be a fairly cold, clinical amp, so it probably wouldn't be the best match for the HD700. You might be happier with the Woo, and it gives you the ability to roll tubes to tweak the sound a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back