Woo wa6se, rudistor rpx-33 or corda symphony?
Feb 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kasper

Head-Fier
Hello!

I am looking for an amp to power my ath w1000 with a smooth, slightly warm, musical and full sound - and black background.

The w1000 are bass weak so the amp would need to have some energy in that region.

The tonality I prefer sounds like tubes does it not?

But the low impedance drive and zero hiss sounds more like transistors right?

I have been looking at the Woo wa6se and the rudistor rpx-33 and the corda symphony. Living in denmark the woo would be the most expensive and service might be harder, but if it is the amp I need then it is less important.

I have even been thinking about the more downscale x-can v8 w/ psu and mullard tubes.

Any advice you can give will bee much appriciated!

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

I am looking for an amp to power my ath w1000 with a smooth, slightly warm, musical and full sound - and black background.

The w1000 are bass weak so the amp would need to have some energy in that region.

The tonality I prefer sounds like tubes does it not?

But the low impedance drive and zero hiss sounds more like transistors right?

I have been looking at the Woo wa6se and the rudistor rpx-33 and the corda symphony. Living in denmark the woo would be the most expensive and service might be harder, but if it is the amp I need then it is less important.

I have even been thinking about the more downscale x-can v8 w/ psu and mullard tubes.

Any advice you can give will bee much appriciated!

I'd be tempted to go with the X-CAN v8 with the relatively low impedance W5000s. It's a real bargin for low impedance phones.

While the WA6 SE would be fine also - it's superb with all my phones... the X-CAN v8 is far less costly, and is superb with low impedance phones!

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 15
I haven't heard the others, so cannot comment. I know the rpx33 will do the things you mentioned. The question is really you like tube or not and whether Woo can do the things on your list (like bass). However, I am not too sure re: MF X-Can though but at least you can easily find some shop that demos it.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 15
I have had the x-can v8 on loan stock and I found it pretty boring (lacking bass and without hte full sound i wan't), but the psu and different tubes might help that. The ability to drive low impedance was fantastic though and the black background was good too.

I also tried the trafomatic head one tube amp, which seemed to have the tonality that I want, but with so much hum I could never live with it.

Other options are welcome as well, those three are just the ones I have found

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 15
Well, that makes life much easier, all you need now is some members comment regarding Woo's characteristics. By the way, what is genre of music you are listening to? This will have bearing on your choice of amp.

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that makes life much easier, all you need now is some members comment regarding Woo's characteristics. By the way, what is genre of music you are listening to? This will have bearing on your choice of amp.

If you can roll tube you can have whatever sound signature you want.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 15
Feb 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Good suggestion re: Yumy.

As for tube rolling, the results is not always clear, sometimes better, sometime just different, sometime worst. I am just wondering is there a rough ball park in term of how it sounds like slow, fast, bass tight or lose, dark or cold etc.

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 15
Well the thing is. after my experience with hum in the trafomatic I am afraid of getting another one with hum and i have read a number of places that the yammy has problems with hum. Is that right?

Apart from that I would like an amp that can drive other phones in the future and the yammy for example would most likely not like my hd650?

I listen mostly to world music and classic. And I like it smooth with wide soundstage and feeling of beeing present. And the mentioned no hiss.

What about the rudistor? Anyone?

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 15
Gredofan! Do you feel the x-can v8 with little pinkie is as good as the 1500$ blackgate modded woo? Or am I not reading you correctly?

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 15
RPX33 EV08 can handle 650 fine. It is natural sounding, slightly warm with good bass. It certainly very 3D due to dual mono design. It is quite addictive/muscial and detail. It focus more on music flow than analytical (detail is there). It is smooth but you will not find Jadis's style warmth/smoothness though, it is SS amp after all. Vocal wise isn't quite as good as valves but close enough (good valve amp seems more organic) - I came from valve camp.

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RPX33 EV08 can handle 650 fine. It is natural sounding, slightly warm with good bass. It certainly very 3D due to dual mono design. It is quite addictive/muscial and detail. It focus more on music flow than analytical (detail is there). It is smooth but you will not find Jadis's style warmth/smoothness though, it is SS amp after all. Vocal wise isn't quite as good as valves but close enough (good valve amp seems more organic) - I came from valve camp.

Hi Sleepyone!

It does not need to be syrupy smooth, just concerned about fatique. The rudistor would seem like a good option as its a european amp that would be cheaper for me to import and Rudi talks a lot about the black background on hiss website.

If i could buy it with a money return policy that would be great, just read some stories about people havíng a hard time getting their money back. Plus some people calling his amps bad value.

Also I have heard the rpx-100 amp at a meet in denmark and found it to be to dry. but Then again I didn't know the cd-player and the cables he used are said to be analytical.

Would you recomend it for my phones?

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 15
Anyone who can compare the rudistor rpx-33 with an x-can v8/psu and better tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back