Woo WA6SE and the Sophia Princess 274B
Jul 7, 2009 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

carlseibert

Head-Fier
Hi,

For ease of searching, I'm posting this in its own thread. There's a lot more about the Sophia 274 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/woo...0/#post5750339

and here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mod...5/#post3849727

and here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...5/#post4912901

So I've had my WA6SE long enough now that it's pretty well broken in and I've now put the Sophia 274B rectifier in place. (with the stock 6DE7s)

To cut to the chase, the Sophia is a must-have.

Now, this assumes that you share my ears, my tastes and prejudices and my headphones. But who doesn't? :) So, moving right along...

I was kind of shocked at the change the Sophia wrought. I mean, this tube's not in the signal path. How much of a difference could it make? A lot, apparently.

The stock Sovtek imparted what was for me an over-warm presentation, with a downward tipped tonal balance and perhaps an over-ripe bass. The excellent resolution and fabulous midrange that is characteristic of the amp, as well as precise and stable imaging were all resent and accounted for, so you couldn't say the sound was broken, and it might even be exactly your cup of tea. But it was just too tubey and bassy for me. (And I'm kind of into warmth.)

Now I find this bit interesting - the Sovtek's sound signature more or less mirrored my HD 650s' bad habits. So, I would expect my K-701s to be the better match. Nope. Not even close. The Senns sounded pretty good with the Sovtek but the AKGs just couldn't get off the ground. So much for "balancing" your system with components with complimentary flaws.

With the Sophia in place, the 701s soar. They sound better than they ever have for me. Upper mids are open and clear. And faster. The sound is coherent from top to bottom. Bass is tight, deep and tuneful. The 6SE becomes, as Boomana rather eloquently once said about another amp "reminds that the 701s are great headphones, while most amps remind that they suck". The Sennheisers sound fine, too. My friend David, upon hearing the 274-equipped SE6 opined that the Senns were now irrelevant. I'm not quite ready to take that leap. Sometimes I like one, sometimes the other. But the 701s just ratcheted up a notch in my estimation.

There may well be other rectifiers out there that would work in this amp that may sound different or even better. And there may be one that is wonderful without quite as hefty a price tag. I don't know. I've only tried the two.

So assuming that you're a reasonable and sensible person who likes everything I like, and you've got a 6SE, I can't recommend the upgrade to the Princess highly enough.

-Carl

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 14
Congrats on your WA6SE with Sophia, carlseibert
beerchug.gif

I'm still burning in mine with the stock tubes, and I could easily live with the SQ at it is. But I've got the Sophia on the sidelines just waiting for her moment to shine (glow?), and it excites me that you found such an improvement. It means I only have good stuff to look forward to
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 14
I agree - I've also said it before that there is no reason to spend money an ANY other rectifier for the WA6/WA6SE - the Sophia is the best and only one you will ever need.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 14
Try the 5R4GY before you advocate dumping $100+ on a rectifier tube.

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 14
I've tried an Amperex Bugle Boy and metal base GZ34, an unknown GZ30, a Svetlana and Sovtek 5U4G and an unknown 5R4GY and none could match the Sophia. I'd be happy to test yours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 14
How about the potato masher? (I don't have any mashers right now... I have a nice pair of HP 5R4's in one of my headphone amps though)

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiowize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the potato masher? (I don't have any mashers right now... I have a nice pair of HP 5R4's in one of my headphone amps though)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel stupid - what is a potato masher? I always thought that was a German hand grenade?

Never mind - googled:

Chatham 5R4WGA "Potato Masher"

Tempo Electric : Tube Talk

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 14
The potato masher is an awefully ugly tube, but they work really really well in some circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back