Woo WA6 - Sometimes Weak
Oct 25, 2007 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
When I listen to well recorded CDs from the time before excessive volume, I find that the WA6 (no mods) just doesn't push my HD-650s enough, even on high gain. While I can adjust my DAC, I've never had this problem with my other amps.

Anyone else find this? Would different tubes help or is this a limitation of the amp?

GAD

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 96
If you let it warm up an hour before using, does your volume go up?
I run my GES at 1:00 after 5 minutes and after an hour or two, 10:00 is the same volume.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listen to well recorded CDs from the time before excessive volume, I find that the WA6 (no mods) just doesn't push my HD-650s enough, even on high gain. While I can adjust my DAC, I've never had this problem with my other amps.

Anyone else find this? Would different tubes help or is this a limitation of the amp?

GAD

Time before excessive volume doesn't push the 650 enough = the sound is closed in and compressed?

High gain = high impedence setting?

The Woo 6 does seem to compress dynamics and sound closed in my experiences with the amp. The bass sounds slightly off too. I think this is the amp. I tried a slew of 6de7's and rectifier tubes and this characteristic didnt change in my system.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you let it warm up an hour before using, does your volume go up?
I run my GES at 1:00 after 5 minutes and after an hour or two, 10:00 is the same volume.

That description sounds like something isnt right. The volume should not change that drastically with warmup.
blink.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Time before excessive volume doesn't push the 650 enough = the sound is closed in and compressed?

No - it's not loud enough.

Quote:

High gain = high impedence setting?

Yup - the switch on the back.

GAD

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 96
Quote:

That description sounds like something isnt right. The volume should not change that drastically with warmup.
blink.gif

Other GES owners have notice the same quirk.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 96
that is strange...unless i'm misunderstanding you, your volume is insufficient
with only certain recordings? if i remember, when i had the stock version, i
couldn't really go past 1 o'clock position with the senns without high discomfort
to my ears...even on classical cds...

one possible problem may be that the caps inside your amp may be defective;
but not likely, since you mentioned it only affected certain cds...another more
likely reason may be that your rectifier and/or power/drive tubes are not putting
out sufficient current...changing the tubes may be a way to confirm or
disconfirm this...good luck.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 96
I can go full volume on almost any recording with HD650 on my WA6 (no mods). It usually stays about 75% of the way up for normal listening. I haven’t started tube rolling it yet so not sure if that would make a difference. I suspect my current source as being a bit weak. With K701s the volume is clearly insufficient but because I don’t own those it’s not a problem. I will have some new tubes in next week so I’ll let you know if that makes a difference.

Don’t misunderstand. I’m not unhappy with this amp in any way.

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can go full volume on almost any recording with HD650 on my WA6 (no mods). It usually stays about 75% of the way up for normal listening. I haven’t started tube rolling it yet so not sure if that would make a difference. I suspect my current source as being a bit weak. With K701s the volume is clearly insufficient but because I don’t own those it’s not a problem. I will have some new tubes in next week so I’ll let you know if that makes a difference.

Don’t misunderstand. I’m not unhappy with this amp in any way.

Geez, I think my head would explode at 75%!!
eek.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 96
Again it depends on the recording. Something older and I can pin the volume dial on the amp without it even bothering my ears. On newer, louder recordings, I can't.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back