Woo WA3 buzz
Feb 2, 2022 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
Hi folks.

I have an older Woo WA3 that I seldom use. Last time I turned it on, it made a nice buzz through the headphones, that reminded me of a bad cap in the power supply. So I changed out the ONE cap that is right next to the rectifier. That fixed about 90% of the buzz. But there is still a very low buzz, which can be faintly heard during quiet passages while listening to classical music.

Just wondering if someone has a schematic or any idea, if there are any other caps in the power supply. Buzz stops immediately when turning off the power, while music continues until the caps are empty.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Does the buzz continue if you disconnect the RCAs?

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes, the buzz is the same with RCA and source connected OR without anything connected.

Buzz stops immediately, once the power is turned off, while the music continues playing for several seconds more, pointing to the problem being in the power supply.

Feb 5, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, got in touch with Woo Audio directly, but like the last time I had issues with my Woo3, they demand that I send the heavy amp intercontinental and through customs twice, Plus $ 80 check up fee Plus whatever the repair costs would be.

No technical questions will be answered by Woo Audio.

If I had followed their 'demand' I would have spend way more money then a new Woo3 used to cost.

Very disappointed with Woo Audio.

On the bright side, I tried a different power tube in my Woo3, which brought the buzz level down a little bit more, so I actually can listen to classical music again via the Woo3.

Next time I may just build an OTL headphone amp from Transcendent, which offers all the technical support you ever will need, plus it probably a better amp as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back