Woo WA 6 SE vs WA 4?
Dec 10, 2008 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

carlseibert

Head-Fier
Hi,

I was quite taken with the Woo WA6 at CanJam and the 6 SE in Tampa.

But now I think it might be worth considering the WA4, which is similar in price and has some tasty physical features. Of course, I haven't heard a 4.

So, if there's someone out there who has enough experience with both to form some solid impressions, would you be kind enough to share those impressions? Where do you think the sonic strengths and weaknesses of each lie?

I would be driving HD-650s or AKG K-701s, although that's subject to change. Versatility is high on my list of desirables.

-Carl

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 9
Carl, I've wanted to hear the WA4 but never had the opportunity. There have only been a couple of people that have posted that had one, as I recall. You may want to email Jack to ask him his thoughts about the two amps. I like the WA6 SE and probably would own one if I hadn't got into stats. I think you should buy the WA4 so I can have a chance to hear it at our next meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Do a search in this forum and you'll find some pretty extensive comments about the WA4 - they are very positive, as I recall.

I'd discuss the comparison with Jack at Woo Audio - he can tell you how they compare sonically.

They're both OPT / transformer coupled amps - but, of course with different designs, tubes, caps, etc. I think the WA4 also has a pre-amp function, which the WA6 doesn't have.

I do recall that the WA4 is a huge beast, and really runs very warm. The WA6 is not, and does not.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carl, I've wanted to hear the WA4 but never had the opportunity. There have only been a couple of people that have posted that had one, as I recall. You may want to email Jack to ask him his thoughts about the two amps. I like the WA6 SE and probably would own one if I hadn't got into stats. I think you should buy the WA4 so I can have a chance to hear it at our next meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Mike,

I thought you were the one who bought all the cool toys so we could all play with them.
icon10.gif

Lemme check that org chart and get back to you.

-Carl

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Hi Gradofan,

I had searched "WA 4" and "WA-4". All the returns I got were noise. Hundreds of 'em, but all noise. "WA4" did the trick. There were quite a few good threads. Thanks.

I have indeed corresponded with Jack. He says the 4 has better resolution, but he thinks I might like the 6 SE better. The applicability of said opinion depending on how well I was able to communicate my tastes, whether Jack hears things the same way I do and general purpose dumb luck. I do get the impression he's pretty good at understanding his customers, though.

The other posters pointed out a couple of things that militate for the 6SE over the 4 - the amount of heat dissipated by the four, which I'll just have to pay FP&L for air conditioning to remove and the less than common tubes used.

Still, the 4 is intriguing. I'll have to connive an opportunity to listen to one somehow.

-Carl

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlseibert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Gradofan,

I had searched "WA 4" and "WA-4". All the returns I got were noise. Hundreds of 'em, but all noise. "WA4" did the trick. There were quite a few good threads. Thanks.

I have indeed corresponded with Jack. He says the 4 has better resolution, but he thinks I might like the 6 SE better. The applicability of said opinion depending on how well I was able to communicate my tastes, whether Jack hears things the same way I do and general purpose dumb luck. I do get the impression he's pretty good at understanding his customers, though.

The other posters pointed out a couple of things that militate for the 6SE over the 4 - the amount of heat dissipated by the four, which I'll just have to pay FP&L for air conditioning to remove and the less than common tubes used.

Still, the 4 is intriguing. I'll have to connive an opportunity to listen to one somehow.

-Carl

You might do a search on the For Sale forum for one. There was one for sale about 4-5 months ago. I don't think it sold. I think it was a pretty good price for a maxed unit - I think it had the upgrades. You might be able to pick one up for a good price - if you think you might want to try one.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks!

I'll take a look.

-Carl

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Carl,

With your phones, you will LOVE the WA6SE. Sorry I can't help you with the WA4. Good luck on your choice, and when you buy one please post back here with your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back