Dec 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

canadianbif

Head-Fier
Can anyone give me a comparison of:

CORDA CANTATE.2
WooAudio 6
WooAudio 3+
WooAudio 3

The WA6 is stretching it a little but im planning on getting a good first setup and im probably going yo use these with either:

Sennheiser HD650s
Denon AHD5000
Beyerdynamic DT990
Grados RS2

So my question is what is the best matchup of the headphone and amp?

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 10
I hear tubes with Grado is magical
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Are you thinking about the Corda because your primary source will be a computer? If so, the Woos would probably not do you much good -- no DAC, no USB; they'd just amplify and clarify the not very good sound that tends to come out of a computer.

There are a bunch of threads here about the various Woo amps, and most go into headphone matching.

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gvvt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you thinking about the Corda because your primary source will be a computer? If so, the Woos would probably not do you much good -- no DAC, no USB; they'd just amplify and clarify the not very good sound that tends to come out of a computer.

There are a bunch of threads here about the various Woo amps, and most go into headphone matching.

I wouldn't rule out the Woo amps so quickly. They are outstanding amplifiers, they just don't have a built in DAC like the Corda does. Unless canadianbif is looking for an "all-in-one" solution, he's going to be looking for a separate DAC. To canadianbif - maybe instead of splurging on the Woo Audio 6, you could buy the Woo Audio 3+ and put the rest of that money towards a DAC.

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 10
You can get a Moodlab Concept DAC for $260, then it's $500 for the least expensive Woo Product. Figure on spending at least $750 for a decent amp-dac pairing.

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get a Moodlab Concept DAC for $260, then it's $500 for the least expensive Woo Product. Figure on spending at least $750 for a decent amp-dac pairing.

I don't know about $750, an Eddie Current Lunchbox goes for $199 and you can find a lot of great used amps for cheap on the for sale forums.

As for a source, here: Marantz CD5001 CD player single disc audiophile quality | Accessories4less, you can get a refurbished Marantz CD5001 for $200. That could be used as a legit headphone amp too.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't rule out the Woo amps so quickly. They are outstanding amplifiers, they just don't have a built in DAC like the Corda does. Unless canadianbif is looking for an "all-in-one" solution, he's going to be looking for a separate DAC. To canadianbif - maybe instead of splurging on the Woo Audio 6, you could buy the Woo Audio 3+ and put the rest of that money towards a DAC.

I agree with this, for me I would go for the 3+ and then a separate dac and the 650s. The 650's with tubes is a combination thats hard to beat.

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 10
Oh, well why didn't you say so!?
icon10.gif

I'd say get the WA6, or if your having second thoughts about whether to upgrade the PDPS and stock rectifier to the 274b Sophia Princess, get the WA2. There was a thread about the PDPS being in the WA2, plus you can use it as a preamplifier.

I remember Uncle Erik using a simile when comparing different tubes ("tube rolling"). He said they were like eating an expensive steak at a steakhouse on separate occasions. They are all going to be good, but each has it's subtle differences.

Those damn Tung Sol 5998s are another story...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back