Woo! MEH-TAH FOR-TEE TWO!
May 8, 2003 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
Just built one this evening, and I'm VERY impressed with the sound! I used 4 X 1000 uf panasonic power caps, wima box caps for C4, panasonic input caps, alps pot, AD8620 opamp and single buffers. Gain of ~6 which turned out to be perfect.

So smooth, so round... It really does something magical to the midrange, mmmmm nice on saxophones.

Anyhoo, some pics!
meta_front.jpg

meta_cmoy.jpg

meta_top.jpg

Yes, that's 16 AA batteries, I'm currently listening with 8 'cause the other 8 are being charged. I'll see how much better it sounds with doubled voltage. The blue LED goes brighter with 16 AA's, so there's an automatic plus. :)

It would have worked on first try if I hadn't forgotten to solder in the jumpers on R8 and 9... doh! It took a lot of staring at the board to figure out that one...

Anyway, a big jump over my CMOY, not quite as detailed as my Corda Blue, but is just soooo irresistibly smooth. Bass is definitely tighter than on the CMOY.

May 8, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Ok, first.. I can't get over how cool your on/off switch is (P# plz
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Next, looks like good work. Glad it came together so well.

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 8, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 9
I picked up the switch, box, the protoboard that's making a pseudo-battery-compartment and the 2 battery packs from Radioshack. I don't know the part number for the switch, but you can probably find it on their website.

May 8, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 9
Added a ground strap to the pot, redid the wiring on the power switch (it was toooo messy for even my humble standards).

meta_guts.jpg

meta_guts2.jpg

A shot of the front panel power jack hole. No, I didn't have a 3/4 inch drill bit, so I had to improvise...

almostround.jpg

Hey, you can't see the jaggedness with the switch installed, so it's all good.
cool.gif

A shot of the empty case (looks kinda like a tennis court with the "net" and all...):

tenniscourt.jpg

May 8, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Can you plug it into a wall wart to charge the batts?

May 8, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 9
I've considered that option, although I haven't implemented anything like it yet... There's no room really to add more jacks etc. What I might do is, make an external charger with 9V snaps that will accept the two battery packs at once.

I'd have to make it a smart charger though, because I'm bound to overcharge them otherwise!

What would be a simple way of making something like that? Does anybody have any suggestions?

May 8, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Looks like there is plenty of room in the front half of the case to mount a power jack for a wall wart on the side. It would be a hell of a lot easier to charge.
wink.gif

As for the proper implementation... I dunno. That's beyond my newbie expertise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back